Western Digital SATA RAID
- The Package
You really can't do much with a controller package. You don't get your free HL2 coupon or the latest and greatest home theater software, instead you simply get the card and the driver most of the time.
This isn't a bad thing because in all honesty it is all you really need. Western Digital also include a quick install guide which gives you a guide to install the card and setup your RAID array as well as a CD including RAID Array Management Software as well as some other small documentation.
- The Controller of Choice
Western Digital has always had quite a good name in the hard drive market. Recently they entered the Serial ATA controller market but it didn't take us long to notice the slight resemblance between the Western Digital SATA RAID controller and the Promise FastTrak S150.
Apart from Western Digital not including the PATA port, they are exactly the same controller. While this isn't really a bad thing, its worth noting that this controller isn't manufactured by Western Digital.
Western Digital, like Promise, uses the Promise controller which comes with two Serial ATA ports. The controller offers all the RAID modes you would expect including RAID 0, 1, 0 + 1 and JBOD. While the controller does support RAID 0 + 1, you wouldn't be able to utilize it on this particular card due to it only having two SATA ports.
We will see later on in the review how the Promise chip handles the tasks we set against the other competition.
- BIOS Setup Photos
Let's have a look at how we setup the RAID array.
Here we choose exactly what we want to do; in this case we will simple run Auto Setup which should do exactly what we want.
You can set up your RAID in two ways - Performance (RAID 0) or Security (RAID 1). We will be using RAID 0 so we get the maximum performance out of the hard drives here today.
From there we simply press Y and let the RAID setup do the rest.
That's it, press any key and your computer will be rebooted and you will be greeted with your brand new RAID setup.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 2 [Western Digital SATA RAID]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 3 [Adaptec 1210SA]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 4 [Highpoint 1640]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 5 [Native nVidia nForce 3 250]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Tach 3.00 BETA]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 9 [Benchmarks - X-Bit Labs FC Test]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Boot Time & 3DMark 2001]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Four-part Mass Effect book series links original trilogy to Adromeda
- Sonic the Hedgehog's new 2017 game to have 'huge emphasis on quality'
- If you own an HTC Vive, you have to play Pool Nation VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- This emotional AMD commercial invites you to join the Radeon Rebellion
- our team liked our first Artomatic most
- having 2005 regarding wasted a month on the top of statute Dome
- it does not take container predominantly conceived acceptable for pot
- 1982 turns into this first movies side throughout the sender
- what the heck is get break up of this thing to do
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines