Infocus make a beautiful projector but they are really one of the brands that you only hear about if you are interested in strictly Home Theater. When people think High Quality projectors names like Sony and NEC come to mind and while these aren't bad projectors, they aren't the best value for money. The fact that Infocus purely make projectors is also a big plus as they can concentrate on one technology which helps them perfect their product better then other companies who work on multiple platforms.
The model we are looking at here today is the ScreenPlay 4800 which is classed as an Entertainment Projector and entertainment it does bring with it...exceptionally well. The reason behind choosing the 4800 is because it has that vital port we need - the VGA port. Supporting a maximum resolution of 1024 X 768, it isn't the highest but we will see how it looks when it is projected onto our wall.
The 4800 also comes with an S-Video port and RCA port for your Pay TV and DVD player. Ports are limited but we had no problem running a DVD player, Pay TV box and our computer. The only connection it was lacking was component but a Component to S-Video adapter is included in the package.
The remote that comes with the unit is quite nice and when it's dark you can simply press a small button on the side that illuminates all the buttons so you can navigate through and adjust your settings easily in the dark - which is certainly a good thing since we are talking projectors.
- Digital Light Processing
One feature on this projector that we feel people should know about is called Digital Light Processing (or DLP for short). While we are no expert on this technology we can give you a quick visual comparison on how it compares to LCD. DLP has a number of advantages over the analogue way; DLP is capable of emitting a brighter and sharper image giving you the best picture thanks to the design behind it.
Below you can see how DLP compared to LCD, this gives a better explanation then we could give and you are able to see with your own eyes.
Is DLP better then Plasma? This really comes down to personal opinion. Plasma screens of this size would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars where with Infocus this size can be had as cheap as $1,400 USD. If you're interested in learning more about DLP we highly recommend that you have a look at http://www.dlp.com which has everything you could imagine on it.
- Size Comparison
To give you some idea of the size of the screen of our particular setup (especially for use when looking at the photos later on in this article), we moved a standard office chair next to the display for comparison purposes.
This should give you a better idea. If you have the room, the screen size can be as large as 6.1 metres if the projected is placed 10 metres back.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 2 [The Projector]
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 3 [General Usage]
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 4 [NFS: Underground Usage]
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 5 [Battlefield Vietnam Usage]
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 6 [Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Usage]
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 7 [Not just games]
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 8 [Advantages & Disadvantages]
- Big Screen Gaming - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset