Our fifth and final model in the ToughArmor product line pairs two 2.5-inch SATA / SAS drives with a slim ODD (Optical Disk Drive) bay. The MB994IPO-3SB can use dual-channel SAS, so it's prefect for 1U servers that still need to have CD/DVDs and to have the operating system in a RAID 1 array.
We found the MB994IPO-3SB for as low as $71.99. On the optical side, the enclosure uses a slim optical drive like what's in notebooks. On the HDD side, you can use either SATA or dual-channel SAS and up to 15mm z-height drives.
The enclosure ships with a cover over the ODD bay, but it's easily removable. The ODD uses the SATA interface, so any off the shelf SATA ODD model will work.
Again, you need to use the supplied special screws since the drives fit right up against the side walls of the enclosure.
Two 4-pin Molex power connectors supply power to the three drives. A 40mm fan keeps the HDDs cool, but you can turn the fan off if needed. The dual-channel SAS configuration is through two SATA 7-pin connectors.
Here we installed an ODD taken from a Lenovo W530 notebook. The drive fits perfectly after removing the Lenovo clip used to hold it in place. Icy Dock supplies the tiny screws used to install the ODD, and every enclosure we looked at today ships with both the enclosure and the HDD mounting screws.
PRICING: You can find the Icy Dock MB994IPO-3SB for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Icy Dock MB994IPO-3SB retails for $109.56 at Amazon.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Take a walk with 'Billy Lynn' and win a 3D Blu-ray on us
- SanDisk expands superfast MicroSD lineup
- LG partners with Valve to make next-gen VR headset
- Official 'Alien Covenant' prequel short released online
- 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture Oscar in huge screw up
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- FutureMark reveals new VR and server benchmarking tools
- LG preparing VR HMD
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity