Icy Dock has two 3.5-inch models in the ToughArmor line up. The first is the MB991IK-B model that works with SATA, SAS, and dual SAS drives from 5mm to 15mm z-heights.
We found the MB991IK-B for as low as $27.99 online, so the per-drive cost is $27.99. This unit is special in that it can handle dual SAS drives through two 7-pin SATA ports. To use SAS, it does require a special cable, but when dealing with SAS, what doesn't require a special cable?
If you are using a SAS drive, especially a SAS SSD, then you want to protect the drive because they are expensive. The MB991IK-B allows you to lock the drive in the enclosure for safe keeping.
The enclosure is about the same size as a standard 3.5-inch HDD.
Here we see SATA / SAS connections on the back of the enclosure. For SATA, you just use the standard power and SATA ports on the left like normal. Dual-channel SAS drives require both 7-pin SATA ports to achieve dual-channel bandwidth.
The drive sled fits in the enclosure perfectly, so the drive connectors hit the market every time.
The MB992SK-B is a dual-bay SATA enclosure with the locking feature that fits inside a 3.5-inch drive bay. Most computer cases still have a 3.5-inch drive bay even though the standard was last popular with floppy drives.
3.5-inch drive bays still come standard on computer cases even though I haven't seen a floppy drive in use for ten years. It's about time we find something useful for this slot…something other than a cover. We found the MB992SK-B for as low as $32.99, giving this model a per-drive cost of $16.50.
The MB992SK-B also uses a locking mechanism for drive security. Users with a 2.5-inch SSD paired with a 2.5-inch HDD in a cache pair can benefit from this model because it adds your drives in an attractive enclose that simplifies the cable arrangement. This is also a good model to use with a RAID pair, for both SSDs and HDDs.
Two SATA data connectors that route data to and from the drives flank a single SATA power connector on the left. Air flow vents on the top, bottom, and back allow air to pass through the system.
The two metal drive carriers slide in the enclosure via rails on the side.
PRICING: You can find the Icy Dock MB991IK-B and MB992SK-B for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Icy Dock MB991IK-B retails for $30.77 at Amazon.
United States: The Icy Dock MB992SK-B retails for $32.14 at Amazon.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen powered QNAP NAS spotted at Computex
- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z spotted
- Regenerate a 'Doctor Who' Blu-ray in our latest giveaway
- Take-Two earns 81% of its net revenue from consoles
- AMD ThreadRipper 1998X: 16C/32T @ 3.9GHz, 44 PCIe lanes
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017