The initial revisions of ExpressFabric are creating a path to full server disaggregation. Disaggregation is the holy grail of efficient architectures. Current software-defined storage and software-defined datacenter approaches will never reach their full potential without resource pooling in disaggregated architectures.
In this design, ExpressFabric allows the spreading of server components into different resource pools. PCIe provides plenty of speed for this enhanced architecture; after all, PCIe is the fabric that binds these components inside today's server. The PCIe interconnect delivers data between components with the same speed and latency experienced in a single chassis. This enables quick and efficient resource allocation to applications that need it most.
The widespread use of PCIe SSDs, unfortunately, leads to stranded resources. PCIe SSDs often have spare capacity and performance that can be allocated to other systems if the architecture supported it. The same concept applies to DRAM, GPUs, and CPUs. These resources are all often stranded and underutilized. This design allows full utilization of premium resources by multiple applications.
Utilizing software for adaptive resource allocation minimizes waste and maximizes production, but also has the side effect of simplifying management. This also lays the foundation for a highly scalable architecture.
Most server components feature disparate refresh cycles. DRAM is usually fine for several generations of CPUs, and storage components often do not require fast replacement cycles. Today's servers often are replaced entirely just to update one component. Components can be replaced on their own cadence with resource pooling. Another benefit is design efficiency. Some components do not require as much airflow or power as others. Consolidating similar components enables denser, more efficient designs.
Instead of top-of-rack switches, the future will hold end-of-row switches that handle all communication and resource allocation. The evolution of ExpressFabric will enable intelligent, efficient, and scalable deployment of compute and storage resources.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance