ASUS ThunderboltEX II
In early January, ASUS released the ThunderboltEX II series of add-on cards; these cards are available in two models, the one you see above is the single port solution, and another labeled the ThunderboltEX II DUAL adds a second Thunderbolt 2 port.
With the packaging out of the way, we can see just what comes with the EX II. Here we have the user guide with the Windows driver installation disc included. The card itself is only compatible with select motherboards from ASUS, including the Maximus VI Extreme, Sabertooth Z87, Z87 Plus, Z87-A, and the motherboard we were lucky enough to have sent over, the ASUS Z87 Pro.
The ThunderboltEX II features a full PCIe 2.0 x4 interface with the Intel DSL5320 Thunderbolt 2 controller onboard. At the top of the card, you will find the Thunderbolt header that connects to the motherboards listed above, allowing the motherboard and card to communicate and swap timing information.
ASUS Z87 Pro Motherboard
The ASUS Z87 Pro motherboard is a socket LGA1150 based motherboard ready for the latest fourth-gen Haswell CPUs from Intel. The motherboard has a single PCIe 3.0 x16 slot second from the top in gold, with the first black slot being PCIe 3.0 x8 and the last slot coming from the Z87 chipset at PCIe 2.0 x4.
In addition to the internal PCIe connectivity, we have six SATA III ports in yellow that run natively on the Z87 chipset, with another two powered by the ASMedia 1061 controller.
The rear I/O for the Z87 Pro features six USB 3.0 ports, 802.11AC wireless connectivity, and a full range of display connections. Additionally, we have Gigabit Ethernet powered by the Intel I217V and Audio powered by the Realtek ALC1150.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Latest News Posts
- Andy Rubin's Essential phone is stunning and powerful
- ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ: 31.5-inch 1440p 144Hz FreeSync
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1070 Katana: hands-on with the ninja
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti HOF Limited Edition detailed
- GALAX shows off GTX 1080 Ti HOF OC Lab Edition
- Intel Introduces X299, Kabylake-X, and Skylake-X
- Lian Li PC-Q25B - distance between stand and edge of case
- LaCie Bolt3 2TB Thunderbolt 3 Review
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- HyperX expand DDR4 memory with higher density kits up to 4,000MHz
- Western Digital to deliver world's first client solid state drives with 64-layer 3D NAND technology
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card