MSI DR8-A Dual Format 8x DVD Recorder
Before we take a look at the drive itself, here are the specifications of the MSI DR8-A DVD Recorder.
• 8x DVD+R writing / 4x DVD+RW rewriting
• 4x DVD-R writing / 2x DVD-RW rewriting / 12x DVD-ROM reading
• 40x CD-R writing / 24x CD-RW rewriting / 40x CD-ROM reading
• BURN-Proof prevents buffer underrun and minimizes recording failures
• Supported over-burn feature
• Supported 99 (870MB) or 90min (800MB) CD-R disc
• Supported 8cm or 12cm disc diameter
• 2MB internal buffer
• Firmware upgradeable
• Enhanced IDE/ATAPI interface
• PIO Mode 4, DMA Mode 2 and UDMA Mode 2
• Horizontal and vertical operation
• Supported optimum power control
• Supported DVD+R write speed at 2.4x, 4x and 8x
• Supported DVD+RW write speed at 2.4x and 4x
• Supported DVD-R write speed at 1x, 2x and 4x
• Supported DVD-RW write speed at 1x and 2x
• Supported CD-R write speed at 4x, 8x, 16x, 24x, 32x and 40x
• Supported CD-RW write speed at 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x and 24x
• Supported HD-BURN CD-R write speed at 6x, 12x, 18x and 24x
- The Drive
The DR8-A from MSI is packed within a green box, which is now becoming the standard colour for MSI DVD drives. The unit is easily distinguishable with the big DVD +-R/RW logo on the front. This is actually MSI's second DVD recorder drive. This unit is simply the older unit with support for 8x DVD+R recording. It's important to keep in mind these write speeds are only for +R and not -R media. Don't expect to get this unit and run the -R media at 8x.
MSI only packs a small bundle with the drive, but this bundle is exactly what is needed to start you off on your DVD writing adventures. Nero Burning Rom v 5.5 is included which contains support for DVD recording. Sonic MyDVD and Showbiz are included for editing Digital Video to create your own DVD videos from Digital Cameras and other digital media sources. One Blank DVD+R 8x media is included for you to create your first 8x DVD+R project. A small user manual that explains how to connect the drive to the PC is also included but no detailed instructions on how to use the drive are included, as that comes included under the recording software.
In this picture you can see the drive itself. As you would expect from a CD unit there is nothing special that puts this drive apart from the rest on the market. On the front is the standard stop/eject button along with a play/skip button for audio playback as well as your headphone jack and volume control. On the back you have your power, IDE and audio connectors, in all a no-brainer to setup.
Overall the drive was a pleasure to setup and with Nero included with the unit, you all just about everything you will need to get yourself started.
8x DVD+R recording
Supports Both + and - recording formats
Supports HD Burn
Supports CD-99 and CD-90 formats
ATA-33 IDE transfer rate for faster recording
Only version 5.5 of Nero included
Rating - 9 out of 10
Find the lowest price on MSI Products!