Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon FX-51
Motherboard: Asus SK8V (Supplied by ASUS)
Memory: Corsair TwinXRE3200LL (Supplied by Corsair)
Video Card(s): ASUS 9800XT 256MB, ASUS V9980U 256MB, ATi Radeon 9800 XT 256MB and HIS Excalibur 9800 Pro IceQ 128MB
Hard Disk(s): 2x Western Digital Raptors (RAID0)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Operating System Used: Windows XP Professional SP1
Drivers Used: ATi 3.10 and nVidia 53.03
After installation we were met with whirring sounds only audible from our CPU and case fans - the 9800 XT and V9980U seemed virtually quiet. However, upon thorough testing and benchmarking, they kicked into high gear and proved to be slightly louder than the HSF found on ATi's own Radeon 9800 XT and Radeon 9800 Pro. However, having two smaller fans pin-pointing specific areas on the graphic card's PCB does prove itself as a more effective cooling solution.
Benchmarking both cards was enjoyable; we thoroughly examined performance under extreme operating conditions, then picked and stabbed at them both to find their strengths and weaknesses.
3DMark03 is the latest version of the highly favoured 3DMark series. By combining full DirectX9.0 support with completely new tests and graphics, 3DMark03 continues the legacy of being industry standard benchmark.
Please Note: Due to recent events with the 3DMark03 series, we are adding results purely for those who are still in favor of 3DMark03. These results should not be taken too seriously and are only added for interest sakes.
Here ASUS's V9980U barely surpasses its three competitors.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 1 [Introduction]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 2 [The Bundles]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 3 [Accessories and Software]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 4 [Cooling and Design]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aquamark 3 and Halo PC]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Prince of Persia and High Detail AA / AF]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- If you own an HTC Vive, you have to play Pool Nation VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- This emotional AMD commercial invites you to join the Radeon Rebellion
- Oculus walks back restrictive DRM, pledges to not use hardware checks
- No Man's Sky is 'even bigger than you can imagine,' says dev
- Mulching is every time a good idea of tomato patio water storage ; bu
- as typically
- Bray assumed the lyrics we've been looking to check on ever since Jul
- Skylake Overclocking i7 6700k help please
- Mazda have eschewed amalgam but also cigarette lighter in powertrains
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines