With all the great things about SATA, there is one minor detail that could be an issue for a person looking to migrate away from PATA completely; there are no SATA optical drives, yet!
That means there are a select few who aren't feeling the need for change. They have no real reason to change, though, as optical drives don't use nearly the entire bandwidth of PATA.
Even with that in mind, a switch to SATA for optical drives should start occurring if the companies who make them are truly ready for the future of computing. There is nothing more compelling than the coming trends in technology that will displace what is today's standard for computers. These companies should really take notice or they could create a significant break in the ever-evolving personal computer by refusing to budge.
Serial ATA is here and it's ready. Companies guarantee its future-proof and, despite being better than its Parallel ancestors, it's much simpler to handle. The price is right and the economy seems to be heading in the right direction for a successful replacement of Parallel ATA.
There isn't much more an industry could ask for in changing what it calls a standard. Only time will tell. As for the enterprise, Serial ATA has a definite future and we'll go deep into that with the follow up to this overview in a few weeks.
I must add a BIG THANKS to my friend and colleague Adam Lechowicz who did some editing and gave me some ideas.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- G.Skill to host OC World Record Stage and OC World Cup at Computex
- Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser dethrones 'Force Awakens' views
- Rocket League adds cross-play between Xbox One, PC
- AT&T begins enforcing broadband caps, offers $30 waiver option
- Revolutionize your drive with the Automatic Connected Car Adapter
- Does this look like a good and compatible setup/buy?
- Error on GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, config HDD RAID w/M.2 boot drive
- OCZ RevoDrive 400 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- fatal1ty z170 gaming-itx/ac no display after resume
- H61M-DS2 Memory Problem
- Colorful & Bykski announces first water block for GTX 1080 Founders Edition
- G.SKILL hosts OC World Record Stage and OC World Cup at Computex 2016, sponsored by Intel, Samsung, and NVIDIA
- Logitech announces Ultimate Ears Roll 2 speakers
- EK Waterblocks GeForce GTX 1080 block now available
- Crucial announces Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 SODIMMs