The supplier of our mod chip cleanly provides both a luring and tantalizing package. After their professional pre-installation work is done, they kindly re-pack the entire product and complimenting accessories. Included in the box we received were all default retail components, spiced with a single-disk-dual-game DVD boasting two separate games: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Tetris Worlds.
We've been talking a lot about the mod chip itself, including its benefits and features but we have yet to cover the actual hardware hands on. For purposes of backing up games and installing separate operating systems, we shall be replacing the Xbox's default 5GB, 5,400RPM EIDE Seagate / Western Digital hard drive. Taking its place is a 40GB Seagate hard drive, running at 7,200RPM. As previously mentioned, this upgrade provides greater storage, but also natively speeds up the Xbox by providing faster spin rates. Thus making game load times and even customized software significantly quicker.
XboxGeek.com provides a very handy video demonstrating how to completely disassemble your Xbox. Fortunately, we do not have to go this far as we are only going to be replacing the Xbox's hard drive for this article (the mod chip has been pre-installed by Xbox-Mod-Chips.com). Taking apart your Xbox is actually one of the most straight-forward and fool-proof disassemblies we have ever gone through.
Eight removed screws later, we have successfully removed the Xbox's top and located both the hard drive and DVD ROM. Note the similarities between the insides of an Xbox and your home computer:
Further Xbox component upgrades include: DVD ROM exchanging (to achieve greater readability with various DVD formats) and RAM upgrades (for the absolute extremists willing to completely compromise the working condition of their Xbox). After replacing the hard drive, we were ready to continue with BIOS and operating system installation.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 2 [Modchip History]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 3 [How a Modchip Works]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 4 [Hardware Installation]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 5 [BIOS & Operating System Installation]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 6 [Screenshots - Dialup Warning!]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 7 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Simplify World Travel With the Twist Plus+ World Charging Station
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's pre-order scheme could change everything
- Ocarina of Time gets an enchanting Unreal Engine 4 makeover
- ASUS unveils the new Poseidon Platinum GTX 980 Ti video card
- Sony unveils the Xperia Z5 Premium, the world's first 4K smartphone
- asrock x99 extreme 4 extra pins
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 (Intel Z170) Motherboard Review
- ACPI wakeup/shutdown no longer works after UEFI flash.
- Purchasing case fans in Taiwan
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015