Features of the ABIT KV8 MAX3
The KV8 MAX3 was first seen in our Athlon 64 Performance PC and was chosen for this particular performance roundup due to its great looks and reputation that the ABIT MAX series carries.
The box the motherboard comes packed in looks fantastic and once you open it up all the included bits and pieces fit very snug with nothing at all out of place.
You are greeted with two small boxes which contain everything you need: USB 2.0 and Firewire headers, rounded parallel ATA cables, many Serial ATA cables, Serial ATA power converters, driver and utility CD, Serial ATA drivers on floppy disk and lots of manuals covering everything about the motherboard.
In the other box you find the Secure IDE device that is designed to add a new level of security to your Parallel ATA drives. Your IDE cables goes through a daughter board and a back plate is connected to it which runs to the back of your case. From there a key sits in the back and if this isn't plugged in the hard drive can not be detected. You can't simply remove the daughter board because you still won't be able to see the hard drive.
Editor's Note: We're guessing the FBI's newest worst enemy!
This motherboard does not have all the fancy colors like the other two in this roundup. It has white PCI slots, a brown AGP slot, black memory banks and a dull colored PCB. When you finally get around to setting the motherboard up it comes alive with multiple red LED's inserted in the OTES cooling system (which we will talk about soon) to give it that extra bit of color.
Like the other motherboards, ABIT uses a 5/1 combination. With thanks to the Northbridge being out of the way, they have been able to lift the AGP slot so that you don't loose any of your PCI slots when using a video card that takes up a PCI slot.
The main 12V connecter is placed closer to the socket and this causes you to have to place the main cable across the top of the CPU heatsink. If you don't place it right it can become quite annoying and cover some of the heatsink not letting the processor get the maximum amount of air flow it would normally receive. The extra 4 pin plug is tucked neatly next to the main connector so both cables are as close to the processor giving the most direct route of power.
Like the Gigabyte motherboard, ABIT has opted to use a heatsink with fan compared to the passive heatsink found on the MSI motherboard. This is definitely a better option for people even if it does only make a small difference. One main thing that will stand out is the OTES cooling system as we mentioned briefly above.
OTES would have to be one of the biggest features on this motherboard. It simply works by pulling the heat away from all the capacitors to help give the maximum overclock on your motherboard. Secure IDE, while not a direct motherboard feature, is definitely something worth looking at. Considering this motherboard is heavily focused on Serial ATA, it is quite disappointing to find that this adapter is for Parallel ATA hard drives only. We look forward to a change.
One excellent feature on this particular motherboard is the LED numbering system that helps determine particular errors, just like the system from EPoX. Instead of being limited to just "beeps", you now have a huge amount of combinations including numbers and letters to help be more precise on error codes. This helps when troubleshooting problems and can cut down the overall time it takes to fix any issues that you may be having.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 1 [Introduction]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 2 [The Chipsets]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 3 [Gigabyte K8VNXP - Specifications]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 4 [Gigabyte K8VNXP - Features]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 5 [MSI K8T Neo - Specifications]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 6 [MSI K8T Neo - Features]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 7 [ABIT KV8 MAX3 - Specifications]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 8 [ABIT KV8 MAX3 - Features]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra MAX3]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001 SE]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II - VIA Arena]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 16 [Conclusions]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- How to build dynamic web apps with Angular JS
- Samsung Galaxy S8 rumored to rock a 4K display
- Google rumored to acquire Twitter, news to break soon
- No Man's Sky now has less than 1000 players on Steam
- Doom update adds Deathmatch, private matches
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- asrock fatality h170 performance red light on bios and not monitor output no beeps
- Anidees AI Crystal Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Ram upgrade and settings
- GIGABYTE X150M-PRO ECC Xeon Motherboard Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now