Solid state storage is the most important performance component found in a modern system today. Without it, you do not even have a performance system.
SanDisk's Ultra Plus is a great example of a mainstream SSD. It's not the fastest, but it's not intended to be. What the Ultra Plus offers is a low cost solid state storage solution that does not skimp out on performance or quality.
SanDisk chose to outfit the Ultra Plus with their own premium 19nm 400 MB/s interface All Bit Line (ABL) Architecture Toggle Mode 2-bit per cell NAND Flash Memory. In addition, the Ultra Plus is one of only three drives currently available that is equipped with emulated SLC technology.
Looking back at our testing, what stands out to me is how well our Ultra Plus array performed when reading and writing large incompressible data transfers. Even with half the controller channels of the competition, the Ultra Plus held its own, and then some.
SanDisk designed the Ultra Plus with laptops in mind. The Ultra Plus is super lightweight and because of its 4-channel controller design, it is very power efficient. Lightweight, power efficiency and a slim chassis are all attributes that are particularly attractive for laptop implementation. We see the Ultra Plus 256GB SSD a little differently though. We find the Ultra Plus 256GB to be a great path for mainstream consumer RAID 0 implementation. Think about it for a moment; for less than the cost of a typical 500GB SSD, you can get double the performance from a pair of Ultra Plus 256GB drives in RAID 0.
RAIDing two or more drives together provides you with storage that takes performance to the next level and is something I recommend you try. Once you go RAID, there's no going back.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup, Drive Properties & ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 7]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8]
- Page 11 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test]
- Page 12 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - Disk Response Times]
- Page 13 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.