The Albatron box looks excellent with the silver/green combination - it really stands out. It is not the easiest box to take a photo as the light really brings out the holographic effect, as you can see:
When opening up the box you find a fair bit of gear but nothing out of the ordinary. You receive USB headers as well as very normal looking IDE cables, game port header, sound expansion header and a Serial ATA cable and power converter.
The overall package isn't too exciting but it comes with everything you need to get the system up and running in no time. Albatron have given us everything we need just not in the style that some other motherboard manufacturers do. In the long run this helps keeps the overall cost down which will please many.
- Motherboard and Layout
The first thing that you notice about the Albatron motherboard is the very cool looking blue PCB. The motherboard has all the creature comforts that we have all have grown accustom to including 6 PCI slots, 1 8X AGP slot as well as 3 memory slots.
Toward the top of the motherboard we find the main power connector and closer to the processor we see the extra power connector to give the Athlon 64 that extra bit of power.
One thing that you might notice is that Albatron has chosen not to include a fan on top of the Northbridge heatsink.
Also up toward the top of the motherboard we find the IDE connectors. Just below the IDE connectors we have the BIOS battery and below that we have two Serial ATA ports powered by VIA's very own VT8237 Southbridge.
- IO Ports
As far as IO ports go we have everything you need including 2 USB ports, onboard network, parallel and COM port, PS2 ports as well as audio.
- The Chipset
As we have mentioned already both motherboards in this article are equipped with VIA's Athlon 64 chipset, the K8T800, which definitely has proven itself worthy over our past few articles.
What we have noticed about this particular chipset is that it's not the fastest on the market but with excellent stability and combined with the VT8237 Southbridge we get a bucket load of very welcome features.
- VT8237 Southbridge
VIA's latest Southbridge, the VT8237, helps bring all the latest features available to your Athlon 64 such as VIA drive station (a very easy to use and quick Serial ATA interface), Vinyl Audio (the latest in 7.1 audio from VIA) and finally "VIA Connectivity" which gives you all the USB ports and PCI slots you desire.
The general features on the motherboard are not bad at all and before we see how it runs we will have a quick look at the EPoX motherboard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 2 [Specifications - Albatron K8X800 Pro II]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 3 [Features - Albatron K8X800 Pro II]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 4 [Specifications - EPoX 8HDA3]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 5 [Features - EPoX 8HDA3]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001 SE]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight 2]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 13 [Conclusions]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis