The Albatron box looks excellent with the silver/green combination - it really stands out. It is not the easiest box to take a photo as the light really brings out the holographic effect, as you can see:
When opening up the box you find a fair bit of gear but nothing out of the ordinary. You receive USB headers as well as very normal looking IDE cables, game port header, sound expansion header and a Serial ATA cable and power converter.
The overall package isn't too exciting but it comes with everything you need to get the system up and running in no time. Albatron have given us everything we need just not in the style that some other motherboard manufacturers do. In the long run this helps keeps the overall cost down which will please many.
- Motherboard and Layout
The first thing that you notice about the Albatron motherboard is the very cool looking blue PCB. The motherboard has all the creature comforts that we have all have grown accustom to including 6 PCI slots, 1 8X AGP slot as well as 3 memory slots.
Toward the top of the motherboard we find the main power connector and closer to the processor we see the extra power connector to give the Athlon 64 that extra bit of power.
One thing that you might notice is that Albatron has chosen not to include a fan on top of the Northbridge heatsink.
Also up toward the top of the motherboard we find the IDE connectors. Just below the IDE connectors we have the BIOS battery and below that we have two Serial ATA ports powered by VIA's very own VT8237 Southbridge.
- IO Ports
As far as IO ports go we have everything you need including 2 USB ports, onboard network, parallel and COM port, PS2 ports as well as audio.
- The Chipset
As we have mentioned already both motherboards in this article are equipped with VIA's Athlon 64 chipset, the K8T800, which definitely has proven itself worthy over our past few articles.
What we have noticed about this particular chipset is that it's not the fastest on the market but with excellent stability and combined with the VT8237 Southbridge we get a bucket load of very welcome features.
- VT8237 Southbridge
VIA's latest Southbridge, the VT8237, helps bring all the latest features available to your Athlon 64 such as VIA drive station (a very easy to use and quick Serial ATA interface), Vinyl Audio (the latest in 7.1 audio from VIA) and finally "VIA Connectivity" which gives you all the USB ports and PCI slots you desire.
The general features on the motherboard are not bad at all and before we see how it runs we will have a quick look at the EPoX motherboard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 2 [Specifications - Albatron K8X800 Pro II]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 3 [Features - Albatron K8X800 Pro II]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 4 [Specifications - EPoX 8HDA3]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 5 [Features - EPoX 8HDA3]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001 SE]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight 2]
- Albatron vs. EPoX - Page 13 [Conclusions]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Oculus Touch officially available as of today
- Samsung Galaxy S8 will not include headphone jack
- Apple hits record sales with their Apple Watch
- Uber is opening an advanced AI lab
- Surgeon Simulator ER is out on Steam and PSVR
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand