The end of the year is upon us, the warm southern winds have shifted bringing cold Canadian air to those of us in the northern United States. With this comes the holiday season and more importantly, you will find a number of deals on all sorts of storage solutions.
Over this last year we have seen a number of new products launched on paper and brought to market, a lot of these I have had the great opportunity to spend some time with.
Within this article, I will share with you some of my favorites and accordingly the top five products in each category. These categories include:
- USB 3.0 Flash Drives
- USB 3.0 External HDDs/SSDs
- Direct Attached Storage
- Consumer HDDs
So, without further ado let's get on with the show!
USB 3.0 Flash Drives - Top 5
Corsair Flash Voyager GS
The Corsair Voyager GS is just now entering the market in wide availability. This drive carries ample performance touching 300 MB/s, sports clean lines, and an aluminium construction. The only downfall of this drive is its wide form factor. This drive can be had in capacities ranging from 64GB to 256GB.
The LX flash drive from MX-Technology is the follow up to the very durable ES flash drive. The LX combines the best MLC NAND flash available with an Innostor FSP offering 200 MB/s+ read in a very affordable package. This drive is available in 8GB to 128GB capacities.
The SanDisk Extreme is one of the very first USB 3.0 flash drives we had the chance to take a look at. From the start, we knew this drive was one of our favorites, featuring 250 MB/s read and 200 MB/s write performance within a sleek sliding frame. This drive is available in capacities ranging from 16GB to 64GB.
Kingston HyperX 3.0
The HyperX brand from Kingston is known as the performance standard - the DataTraveler HyperX is no different. Within this drive you will find read capabilities near 300 MB/s, all within an attractive blue and black shell that screams the HyperX brand. This drive is available in 64GB to 256GB capacities.
Mushkin Ventura Ultra
The somewhat elusive Ventura Ultra from Mushkin. This drive was first announced during CES 2013, and now it has officially entered the market. The Ventura Ultra packs in a true SandForce SF2281 FSP with premium MLC NAND.
The styling will also take you on a trip down memory lane with its aircraft aluminum frame that resembles the old Ridgeback DRAM. This drive is available in 60GB, 120GB and 240GB capacities.
Further Reading: Read and find more Storage content at our Storage reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- This $70,000 customized Apple Watch is packed full of diamonds
- The FCC passes Net Neutrality, the strongest set of rules yet
- The drama llama strikes again - massive llama chase in the US unfolds
- Study: Gamers buy PlayStation 4 for graphics, Xbox One for brand
- Kaspersky: 28% of mobile users don't have knowledge of malware attacks
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Review
- need new mother board
- how can i use new power supply for that mother boread asrock g41m-vs3 r2.0
- Question regarding adding new SSD to Z97 motherboard
- "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash.
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse
- Intel Revives the Atom Brand with New Branding Levels