- The Chipset
It has been a while since we have seen something from ALI and there is no better time to shine then with the release of a new processor. ALI has decided to come from behind that curtain and give us a taste of what they have been working on. ALI isn't a big contender in the mainstream / enthusiast market and has always concentrated on the cheaper OEM market, which of course is always the biggest as far as turn over goes.
The ALI chipset as you would expect doesn't exactly bring the latest and greatest features to the market and gives off somewhat of an "outdated" design feel.
We are looking at the ALI M1687 in the shape of the Soyo SY-K8USA, which almost has less features then a reference motherboard. It isn't the most exciting Athlon 64 motherboard on the market but it helps bring the ALI M1687 chipset to the end user. It will be interesting to see if it can do anything for us later on in the article when we move onto benchmarking.
- Quick Look
Having a quick look around the very reference looking Soyo based ALI M1687 motherboard we don't find anything out of the ordinary but yet another product that features a purple layout. The Soyo K8USA follows the standard 1/5 AGP/PCI design that is seen amongst most motherboards as well as two PATA and two SATA ports for a maximum of six HDD's.
While not being the most exciting motherboard to look at, it has got a simple purpose that it does just fine.
- I/O Ports
One interesting thing that we found on this motherboard was the inclusion of onboard Firewire. While it's not the biggest thing at the moment some people with DV cameras will like the addition. We have the normal Parallel/Serial ports, 4 X USB and onboard 10/100 networking.
Now we've finished taking a look at all four motherboards, let's put them in the ring for one big ROYAL RUMBLE!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 1 [Introduction]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 2 [VIA K8T800 - Soltek SL-K8AV-R Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 3 [VIA K8T800 - Soltek SL-K8AV-R Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 4 [SIS 755 - Reference Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 5 [SIS 755 - Reference Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 6 [nVidia nForce 3 - Soltek SL-K8AN-RL Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 7 [nVidia nForce 3 - Soltek SL-K8AN-R Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 8 [ALI M1687 - Soyo SY-K8USA Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 9 [ALI M1687 - Soyo SY-K8USA Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001 SE]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 13 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 16 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight 2]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 17 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- If you own an HTC Vive, you have to play Pool Nation VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- This emotional AMD commercial invites you to join the Radeon Rebellion
- Oculus walks back restrictive DRM, pledges to not use hardware checks
- No Man's Sky is 'even bigger than you can imagine,' says dev
- X170 EXTREME ECC Build
- GA-Z77-UD5H and W10 Sata Port Recognition?
- re image
- Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse Review
- RAM Speed in H61 boards.
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines