- The Chipset
When it came to the Athlon XP chipset market, nVidia really had it sorted with the nForce 2 chipset. What we intend to do today is find if the performance crown nVidia had in the Athlon XP market has been carried over to the latest 64-bit processors from AMD.
One interesting feature of the nForce 3 chipset is the inclusion of the single chip design instead of the more common Northbridge / Southbridge arrangement that we see on all the other chip designs.
This is nVidia's third chipset to hit the market and doesn't carry anything very astonishing. The nForce 3 brings with it built-in networking (unfortunately it is only 10/100) as well as all your normal AGP features that you have come to expect. Due to the memory controller being built into the processor it really does cut down what you can say about the chipset as it simply adds little things like Serial ATA RAID and onboard audio.
- First Glance
We have chosen to use the Soltek motherboard for the testing of the nVidia nForce 3 chipset as it follows a closer reference design (like the VIA K8T800 we choose to use) which keeps the competition a little fairer. The motherboard has purple running all through it as we have come to expect from Soltek.
The motherboard does look quite attractive and if you're in to the modding scene the extra colors on the motherboard won't go astray. Why some people may prefer another color the purple has definitely become a bit of a trademark for this Taiwanese motherboard manufacturer.
- IO Ports
Soltek have always created quite a plain motherboard and like the VIA K8T800 Soltek motherboard, we see that a lot of the same features are carried over. While the nForce3 model we are looking at does come with onboard LAN, everything else is almost exactly the same.
- Promise SATA again
Like the VIA K8T800 Soltek motherboard, we again see Soltek has chosen to go with the Promise SATA controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 1 [Introduction]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 2 [VIA K8T800 - Soltek SL-K8AV-R Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 3 [VIA K8T800 - Soltek SL-K8AV-R Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 4 [SIS 755 - Reference Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 5 [SIS 755 - Reference Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 6 [nVidia nForce 3 - Soltek SL-K8AN-RL Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 7 [nVidia nForce 3 - Soltek SL-K8AN-R Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 8 [ALI M1687 - Soyo SY-K8USA Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 9 [ALI M1687 - Soyo SY-K8USA Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001 SE]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 13 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 16 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight 2]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 17 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- Fable Legends will use foliage physics to increase visual fidelity
- AMD: GPUOpen could be used for smartphone, tablet graphics
- Galaxy S7 battery said to last two days on single charge
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform