The first NAS I ever tested had only one real feature. It held four PATA hard drives and could run RAID 0, 1 and 5. The redundant data function was the feature and in RAID 5, the NAS could have a drive fail, but still keep your data. The second NAS I ever tested added RAID 6 and the DLNA. Not DLNA with a revision number, but the very first DLNA that kind of worked with some devices and kind of didn't work with others.
Modern NAS products have evolved to the point where we rarely even talk about their redundant features or basic protocols that new features are built upon. Media Center features are the new 'it' feature for NAS products, and we're seeing HDMI on entry-level products as well as flagship models designed for rackmount enclosures.
While I don't see HDMI taking off in a rack, low-cost NAS products small enough to set next to a TV or receiver make sense. With entry-level processors sporting dual and quad cores, using very little power and strong enough to push pixels from redundant arrays that hold a lot of media files.
The first step in moving a NAS to the living room didn't start with HDMI, it starts now with remote controls. It's a familiar interface that dominates the coffee table next to the couch and there's a reason why we all have a pile of them.
We're glad to see ASUSTOR put forth the extra effort and bring control to the new media center NAS category.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 5G spec: 20Gbps down, 1 million devices per square km
- SpeedTree 8 to be shown at GDC 2017 on Amazon Lumberyard
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR could be ripped off the market soon
- Intel rocked to its Core over Ryzen, price drops begin
- Corsair's Lighting Node Pro: taking control of your LEDs
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand
- Introducing LG XPower2 with high capacity battery designed for demanding users
- Enjoy incredible performance of AMD RYZEN with BIOSTAR X370GT5 motherboard
- COLORFUL introduces iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G Advanced video card
- Team Group introduces its fastest SSD for gamers with T-FORCE CARDEA M.2 SSD