Silicon Motion SM2246EN Reference Design
Before we dive in and look at the drive we want to preface the rest of this preview. The sample we received is only a reference design. The drive was built for performance using the best NAND on the open market today and the performance shown today does not represent a specific branded product. A manufacture could build a drive like the one we're testing though. The firmware on the reference design could and most likely will change before retail products come to market so the performance today could increase or decrease.
The PCB design doesn't look overly complicated. The controller sits close to the SATA connection and a fair amount of space between the controller, the NAND flash and the DRAM buffer keeps controller heat away from the other components.
There are eight NAND flash packages, four on each side.
Here we get our first look at the new SM2246EN controller.
The flash used is Toshiba 19nm Toggle Type C with 16KB page size. Each package is 16GB in size.
The 256MB DDR3 DRAM buffer is clocked at 800MHz (DDR3-1600) and has 11-11-11 timings.
Our reference design sample uses firmware M0709A and uses the ACS-2 ATA command set. Crystal Disk Info detected the capacity size at 126.5GB, an odd size. We suspect Silicon Motion reserved a small amount of space for background activities.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications and Availability]
- Page 3 [Silicon Motion SM2246EN Reference Design]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.