Overclocking on mid-range video cards is always really fun and exciting. It's at these mid-range levels that we see an overclock come in extremely handy. Sure, it's great to see a GTX TITAN go from 180 FPS to 212 FPS in a game, but we know overall it doesn't really affect the way the game looks or plays.
Move down a few levels, though, to something like the new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB and you see multiple times we're able to move from under 60 FPS, a level that we consider not playable, to over 60 FPS, a level that we consider playable. It's times like this that we see overclocking really affects the playability of the game.
It's also not just when we move from under 60 FPS to just over it, but also when we move from low 60s to higher 60s. That extra 10% that we can often see at time really gives us that extra bit of breathing room that we need to make sure the game really does run as well as we need it to.
We can't just place all the importance on the 60 FPS number, though. For those games that aren't quite as intensive, when we're floating around the 100 FPS realm, that extra FPS seen comes in handy for people on 120Hz monitors. Of course the more often you can stay at that 120 FPS number, the overall smoother looking your game will be.
Overall overclocking on the new GTX 760 2GB is good. We can see that the extra MHz we're able to achieve on the model gives us a nice jump in performance with at times it being the difference between playable and not playable. Along with that, though, we saw that overclocking effected both heat and noise levels in a very minor way, if really at all.
Like we mentioned in our launch piece on the new GTX 760 2GB, we're really looking forward to seeing what partners do with the new model. Not just from a cooling perspective, but also from the perspective of increased overclocking ability. Keep an eye out in the coming weeks as we review more and more variants of the new GTX 700 series based video cards from partners here at TweakTown.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 20 [Temperature Test]
- Page 21 [Sound Test]
- Page 22 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 23 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Destiny 2 'leak' reveals September release date
- Last Galaxy S8 leak before launch - the box
- I hope Destiny 2's leaked poster is fake, and here's why
- Apple's red iPhones extremely popular in - China!
- HMD confirms US availability for the Nokia smartphones
- Corsair ONE Pro SFF Gaming PC Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Download "ScanPST.exe tool
- Gamdias Hermes P1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- H170-PLUS D3 and i7 7700K, both new computer says nothing.
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse
- ASUS announces USB-AC53 Nano Wi-Fi adapter