Today we have taken two of the best Tier 2 i865PE motherboards and battled them head to head to see what can be accomplished.
MSI Final Thoughts
On the whole, MSI has done a rather good job while trying to keep the retail price as low as possible without trying to compromise quality, and have done a reasonably good job at it. Overclocking on the MSI board was better surprisingly then the Chaintech board with a maximum FSB of 287MHz - still not as good as our Tier 1 boards, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Layout of the board only gave us one complaint, and that is the placement of the 4 pin power connector.
Promise Serial ATA RAID controller
CSA Gigabit Ethernet
Placement of the 4 pin power connector could have used more thought
Rating - 8.5 out of 10
Chaintech Final Thoughts
Chaintech is still relatively new to the motherboard industry, but old enough to know a winner from a looser. Chaintech have come half way with the 9PJP in this scale.
Overclocking was somewhat below what we expected for a Tier 2 board with only 248MHz FSB being able to be reached. The layout of the board does need some work, as the placement of the IDE connectors is just a simple motherboard no-no these days.
PCI Audio Controller
Serial ATA support
Placement of the IDE connectors needs serious re-thinking
CSA network removed over 10/100 solution
Rating - 8 out of 10
Stay tuned for our Tier 3 i865PE shootout!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 3 [Features - MSI 865PE Neo2]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 4 [Features - MSI 865PE Neo2 Continued]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 5 [Features - Chaintech 9PJL Apogee]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 6 [Overclocking]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra MAX3]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001SE]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark2002]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 16 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- First Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare trailer now live
- Without the reconstruction tech, Quantum Break looks incredible at 4K
- Forza Motorsport 6: Apex requires 16GB RAM for gaming at 4K 60FPS
- Quantum Break's new PC patch fixes lots, weighs a huge 27GB
- No Man's Sky VR would be a 'really good fit', says creator
- Sabertooth Z170 S - Accessory fan
- C2750D4I BMC Self Test Status Failure
- WD 1TB Black drive memory dump while Win 7 installed.
- Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched