Today we have taken two of the best Tier 2 i865PE motherboards and battled them head to head to see what can be accomplished.
MSI Final Thoughts
On the whole, MSI has done a rather good job while trying to keep the retail price as low as possible without trying to compromise quality, and have done a reasonably good job at it. Overclocking on the MSI board was better surprisingly then the Chaintech board with a maximum FSB of 287MHz - still not as good as our Tier 1 boards, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Layout of the board only gave us one complaint, and that is the placement of the 4 pin power connector.
Promise Serial ATA RAID controller
CSA Gigabit Ethernet
Placement of the 4 pin power connector could have used more thought
Rating - 8.5 out of 10
Chaintech Final Thoughts
Chaintech is still relatively new to the motherboard industry, but old enough to know a winner from a looser. Chaintech have come half way with the 9PJP in this scale.
Overclocking was somewhat below what we expected for a Tier 2 board with only 248MHz FSB being able to be reached. The layout of the board does need some work, as the placement of the IDE connectors is just a simple motherboard no-no these days.
PCI Audio Controller
Serial ATA support
Placement of the IDE connectors needs serious re-thinking
CSA network removed over 10/100 solution
Rating - 8 out of 10
Stay tuned for our Tier 3 i865PE shootout!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 3 [Features - MSI 865PE Neo2]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 4 [Features - MSI 865PE Neo2 Continued]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 5 [Features - Chaintech 9PJL Apogee]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 6 [Overclocking]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra MAX3]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001SE]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark2002]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 16 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- AMD reduces price on Radeon R9 Fury X, Fury and Nano - Fury X now $589
- Star Trek DS9 Blu-ray campaign warps into view
- Humai wants to transfer your consciousness to an artificial body
- New chip could charge your phone in 10 minutes, Samsung interested
- 2nd-gen MSI ECO series motherboards debut
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader
- MSI Announces ECO Series Socket LGA1151 Motherboards
- Mionix Announces New-generation SARGAS Mousepad Family