Today we have taken two of the best Tier 2 i865PE motherboards and battled them head to head to see what can be accomplished.
MSI Final Thoughts
On the whole, MSI has done a rather good job while trying to keep the retail price as low as possible without trying to compromise quality, and have done a reasonably good job at it. Overclocking on the MSI board was better surprisingly then the Chaintech board with a maximum FSB of 287MHz - still not as good as our Tier 1 boards, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Layout of the board only gave us one complaint, and that is the placement of the 4 pin power connector.
Promise Serial ATA RAID controller
CSA Gigabit Ethernet
Placement of the 4 pin power connector could have used more thought
Rating - 8.5 out of 10
Chaintech Final Thoughts
Chaintech is still relatively new to the motherboard industry, but old enough to know a winner from a looser. Chaintech have come half way with the 9PJP in this scale.
Overclocking was somewhat below what we expected for a Tier 2 board with only 248MHz FSB being able to be reached. The layout of the board does need some work, as the placement of the IDE connectors is just a simple motherboard no-no these days.
PCI Audio Controller
Serial ATA support
Placement of the IDE connectors needs serious re-thinking
CSA network removed over 10/100 solution
Rating - 8 out of 10
Stay tuned for our Tier 3 i865PE shootout!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 2 [Specifications]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 3 [Features - MSI 865PE Neo2]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 4 [Features - MSI 865PE Neo2 Continued]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 5 [Features - Chaintech 9PJL Apogee]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 6 [Overclocking]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra MAX3]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001SE]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark2002]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- MSI vs. Chaintech - Page 16 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- ASUS unveils a Windows 10-powered PC-on-a-stick with the new VivoStick
- You can now download Epic's awesome 'Showdown' VR experience
- PS4 v3.0 firmware includes YouTube Gaming support, more cloud storage
- Your daily WTF: Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 is a real game
- Acer announces new Predator Gaming Series monitors with NVIDIA G-SYNC
- Purchasing case fans in Taiwan
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- does ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 support window 10 with the G3258 cpu?
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015