The SanDisk story is fascinating. One of three company founders, Dr. Eli Harari, is the father of flash. His work at Toshiba with Floating Gate EEPROM was dubbed 'Flash' because it was able to write data in a flash. After leaving Toshiba to start SunDisk with Sanjay Mehrotra (former Intel) and Jack Yuan (former Hughes Electronics), the three set out to develop non-volatile memory for digital cameras. Later renamed to SanDisk, the company is now involved in much more than the flash cards we associate with the SanDisk name.
SSD shipments grew 22% between 4Q 2012 and 1Q 2013 and in that time SanDisk moved into the number two spot by number of units shipped. Positioned just behind Samsung (31.3%), SanDisk's market share was 16.8% - not bad for a company that flew under our radar until the performance class Extreme SSD hit our labs in early 2012.
Today the company releases the follow up to the Extreme SSD, the Extreme II. More of a revolutionary than evolutionary part, Extreme II uses a new controller architecture and the most advanced NAND flash on the market today.
Rather than trying to lump all of this information into the three capacity size reviews of Extreme II today, let's cover the new architecture in this article and then look at the reviews of the three capacity sizes in review form throughout the day. That way we can keep each review to a coffee break size and still compare each capacity size to equal sized products.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Germany to Facebook: Stop collecting Whatsapp user data
- OBS Studio adds support for AMD Video Coding Engine
- Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3 first games with Microsoft DRM
- How to get 1TB of lifetime cloud storage for only $39
- NASA finds strong evidence of water plumes on Europa
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now