CrossFire continues to be an excellent option. You can see that most the time we see massive gains, especially when we need it. The only time we don't see anything is under Nexuiz, which has never played nice with dual GPU setups. We hope that this is something that is fixed in the near future as it's really one game that could benefit a lot from a good increase in performance under CrossFire.
Coming in at $559.98 the HIS HD 7850 iPower IceQ Turbo 4GB CrossFire setup is really quite attractive. We really thought extremely highly of the card when we tested it in single form and we continue to have the same high opinion of the model when we throw a second card into the mix.
The cooler design that HIS opted for with the fan at the back of the card pushing the air directly across the GPU and straight out the back of the case continues to be one of the best solutions when it comes to multi GPU setups. This compares to the standard fan in the middle solution. When it comes to installing two cards, the top card or first card tends to be drawing air from the back of the second card around the GPU area, which is of course the hottest area of the card.
While we see many cards still perform extremely well in this situation due to the fact that a lot of effort has gone into the cooler design, you can't deny that the option that HIS offer with the IceQ card is superior. Along with that it just looks rather good.
CrossFire isn't for everyone and we know that. If you're after a setup though that isn't going to break the bank and going to be fun at the same time, the HD 7850 in CrossFire is an excellent starting point. The jump from the HD 7700 series is nice and you don't need to quite spend HD 7900 series level money times two.
Outside all this the low temperature and noise numbers we're dealing with mean that there's room for overclocking if you want even more performance. If you also want to save a few dollars you can go ahead and pick up the 2GB version of the cards which is going to bring with it similar performance.
We recommended this HIS video card in its single form and we have no issue recommending it in CrossFire form either. If you're looking for a fun, efficient and powerful CrossFire setup that isn't going to break the bank, this continues to be an attractive option.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'The Get Down' costs Netflix $16 million per episode
- Star Citizen alpha is free until October 30
- Nintendo 'hasn't shown everything' on Switch just yet
- Watch Dogs 2 trailer welcomes you to San Francisco
- Rule the streets on this official 'Mario Kart' bike
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now