Getting it to work, no thanks to DisplayPort
Sapphire was very kind, and sent me three of their Radeon HD 7970 Dual-X 3GB OC GPUs, which actually were much better. This is because they have a full-sized DisplayPort, but two DVI ports. One of which is just a single-link DVI port, but I've found it actually pumps out 120Hz... So, I'm not complaining.
I have dumped in two of these cards into my rig and voila - EyeFinity at 120Hz, but it still has issues. I have to mess around with monitor drivers before my Alienware monitors will detect properly at 120Hz, or at more than 640x480.
This is all because of DisplayPort - on an NVIDIA-based configuration, and all dual-link DVI, it just detects and works. There's just magic, and I love it. With AMD, and their decision to force DisplayPort, it does not like 120Hz at all.
This isn't a major issue for AMD, or most consumers, but for those who want to run one of the most harshest configurations on a GPU - triple screens at 120Hz - don't buy AMD, or at least, buy all DisplayPort-capable screens.
With DisplayPort-capable screens, the above issues disappear. I haven't personally tested three DisplayPort and 120Hz-capable screens in EyeFinity, but I don't see how it wouldn't work. It's the conversion process and the dual-link DVI monitors that are getting in my way. I just wish AMD would support this configuration. It's not like it's some super unique cheapo monitor setup that I have.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Discovering 120Hz-capable LCDs]
- Page 3 [EyeFinity and 120Hz - it just doesn't work]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an awesome physics engine
- Hitman goes HDR on PC, PS4, Xbox One next week
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni