Getting it to work, no thanks to DisplayPort
Sapphire was very kind, and sent me three of their Radeon HD 7970 Dual-X 3GB OC GPUs, which actually were much better. This is because they have a full-sized DisplayPort, but two DVI ports. One of which is just a single-link DVI port, but I've found it actually pumps out 120Hz... So, I'm not complaining.
I have dumped in two of these cards into my rig and voila - EyeFinity at 120Hz, but it still has issues. I have to mess around with monitor drivers before my Alienware monitors will detect properly at 120Hz, or at more than 640x480.
This is all because of DisplayPort - on an NVIDIA-based configuration, and all dual-link DVI, it just detects and works. There's just magic, and I love it. With AMD, and their decision to force DisplayPort, it does not like 120Hz at all.
This isn't a major issue for AMD, or most consumers, but for those who want to run one of the most harshest configurations on a GPU - triple screens at 120Hz - don't buy AMD, or at least, buy all DisplayPort-capable screens.
With DisplayPort-capable screens, the above issues disappear. I haven't personally tested three DisplayPort and 120Hz-capable screens in EyeFinity, but I don't see how it wouldn't work. It's the conversion process and the dual-link DVI monitors that are getting in my way. I just wish AMD would support this configuration. It's not like it's some super unique cheapo monitor setup that I have.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Discovering 120Hz-capable LCDs]
- Page 3 [EyeFinity and 120Hz - it just doesn't work]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA solved the secret of ESA's missing Mars lander
- He changed his name to Seven iPhone for a free iPhone 7
- New photos and a shocking price of Huawei Mate 9 emerged
- Elon Musk describes his vision for colonization of Mars
- Nintendo Switch is single-screen only, says Nintendo
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now