I don't think that the Surface Pro will overtake the iPad overnight, but it should have Apple worried. Not worried about sales numbers or consumers changing their spending habits and buying something with a Windows logo on the back instead of an Apple, but in the long-term it's going to have repercussions for the Cupertino-based electronics giant.
Until now, Apple has not had a true competitor in the tablet game - sure, we have Samsung and Google, ASUS and Acer, and many others - but no one has even come close to competing on the scale that Apple plays on.
Microsoft won't win with the Surface Pro, but give it a generation or two of the Surface line of devices - the introduction of the next-gen Xbox, and a cleanup of Microsoft's services as a whole, and I can see Microsoft getting right back into the game.
The only other problem Microsoft has is Google. Google's tablets are getting very, very good, and their Project X labs is designing some great things. We're seeing the fruits of their labor with Project Glass and X Phone, so 2013 should be a stellar year to be a tech junkie.
The kicker to the Surface Pro is that it'll set you back around $1000 for the 128GB version. It's about $100 cheaper for the 64GB-based Surface Pro, which isn't too bad. This is much more than the iPad, but a 64GB iPad is getting up there and close to that price anyway, and it's just a tablet.
The Surface Pro is much, much more than that - and I think people will be singing a new tune not only about Windows 8 when the Surface Pro lands, but Microsoft as a company, too.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and What we should expect from the Surface Pro?]
- Page 2 [What I will be doing with my Surface Pro]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance