I use cloud storage quite a bit, and split my time and storage between Dropbox and Google Drive. I have a lot of my work on my Dropbox account, as well as personal photos and videos, and on my Drive account, I tend to keep more documents and invoices. I haven't yet moved it all into a single source, but I will be doing that in the coming months.
I want to see where Dotcom and his team take MEGA, and I'll make my decision from there. Right now, Dropbox is the most convenient because of its various mobile apps and integration into Windows and OS X. I have virtually all operating systems in my possession, so it's nice to be able to flick between Windows, OS X or Android and not have to worry - got an iOS-based device? You're looked after, of course.
MEGA needs to spread its tentacles into the mobile world before it can really take off, and I think that will be step two in Dotcom's plan to piss off the powers that be. For a 'beta', MEGA is doing quite well - it looks nice, it's super simple, and quick (for most, and now that some of the fanfare has faded). It has a versatile set of options, and will only grow into something much more powerful over time.
I think something like MEGA could eventually push people that would never use the cloud, to actually use the cloud. It'll always be more of an 'underground' thing, as it'll never be acquired by someone like Facebook or Google who have huge ties into the defense departments and the government.
This is what makes MEGA different - it's anti-government, anti-spying and totally pro-privacy. This is what the draw card is to MEGA, and something worth really pushing when explaining it to your friends or family. Do I recommend MEGA? Sure - it's free with 50GB included, so why not? Would I recommend purchasing cloud storage from Dotcom's new cash cow? Not right now. I think it's great, but without mobile apps in this smart device heavy world - it's a hard call, a mega hard call.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Initial Impression]
- Page 2 [First use of MEGA - Uploading Files to the Cloud Has Never Been This Easy]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SpeedTree 8 to be shown at GDC 2017 on Amazon Lumberyard
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR could be ripped off the market soon
- Intel rocked to its Core over Ryzen, price drops begin
- Corsair's Lighting Node Pro: taking control of your LEDs
- Project CARS 2 latest screenshots look amazing
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications