I use cloud storage quite a bit, and split my time and storage between Dropbox and Google Drive. I have a lot of my work on my Dropbox account, as well as personal photos and videos, and on my Drive account, I tend to keep more documents and invoices. I haven't yet moved it all into a single source, but I will be doing that in the coming months.
I want to see where Dotcom and his team take MEGA, and I'll make my decision from there. Right now, Dropbox is the most convenient because of its various mobile apps and integration into Windows and OS X. I have virtually all operating systems in my possession, so it's nice to be able to flick between Windows, OS X or Android and not have to worry - got an iOS-based device? You're looked after, of course.
MEGA needs to spread its tentacles into the mobile world before it can really take off, and I think that will be step two in Dotcom's plan to piss off the powers that be. For a 'beta', MEGA is doing quite well - it looks nice, it's super simple, and quick (for most, and now that some of the fanfare has faded). It has a versatile set of options, and will only grow into something much more powerful over time.
I think something like MEGA could eventually push people that would never use the cloud, to actually use the cloud. It'll always be more of an 'underground' thing, as it'll never be acquired by someone like Facebook or Google who have huge ties into the defense departments and the government.
This is what makes MEGA different - it's anti-government, anti-spying and totally pro-privacy. This is what the draw card is to MEGA, and something worth really pushing when explaining it to your friends or family. Do I recommend MEGA? Sure - it's free with 50GB included, so why not? Would I recommend purchasing cloud storage from Dotcom's new cash cow? Not right now. I think it's great, but without mobile apps in this smart device heavy world - it's a hard call, a mega hard call.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Initial Impression]
- Page 2 [First use of MEGA - Uploading Files to the Cloud Has Never Been This Easy]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Rocket League gets a new map and a DLC car
- Battlefield 1 dev said shovel digging might come back
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset