We couldn't test the latest in computer hardware without venturing into the BIOS for a little Front Side Bus (FSB) action. It's worth taking note that this is a work station computer designed for graphic designers and a server solution. The kind of people purchasing this equipment won't be big overclockers but are more interested in a system that is completely rock solid.
While testing we had no problem with stability, so in a way it was a bit boring at times. We thought if we could get it to crash at least once we would feel some form of accomplishment. When raising the FSB to 215MHz on the 242 1.6 GHz Opteron, we instantly achieved a slight overclock. Getting into Windows was no problem and running around the desktop seemed just fine. Moving back into the BIOS we pushed the FSB up to 225MHz and to our surprise the system booted no problem - unfortunately we were greeted with a "Windows Corrupt Message" and we thanked our lucky stars we transferred the results over to the other computer before-hand.
Thankfully, the testing had been done and it was a sign to call it a day. Without the ability to adjust any voltage, we were surprised that we were able to boot at 225MHz, we did get a chance to jump into Sandra at 215 and found that the memory score was actually slower even though the memory was running at over 170MHz. While we cannot be definite, the conclusion floating around the room was that the ECC memory had to work harder as the memory was possibly creating more errors, since it was working harder, the overall memory speed was slower.
Overall, as far as tweaking went, there wasn't a lot we could do within the BIOS as it's not aimed at enthusiasts. We didn't have the chance to adjust voltage and for this reason we felt the higher overclock was attributed to corrupting our OS install. The motherboard we tested was a retail motherboard, from this we can assume the overclocking features will be limited and a maximum of 233MHz FSB will only be able to be achieved, although it may be quite difficult since you cannot adjust VCORE.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 1 [Introduction]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 2 [AMD's Latest Processors]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 3 [K8T800 and VT8237 taking charge]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 4 [Photos]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 5 [A quick glance at overclocking]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Sandra]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetics]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Gaming]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Dual Processors Slower?]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Call of Duty returns to 'boots on the ground' roots
- Nintendo Switch requires day one update to access eShop
- Nintendo Switch has no Virtual Console games at launch
- Apple new headquarters is ready for April's opening
- Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 835 VR dev kit program
- توكيل صيانة ثلاجة كريازى 01093055835 رقم مبيعات كري&
- صور صيانة غسالات وستنجهاوس 01060037840 % رقم مبيعات و
- اخبار صيانة غسالة فريجيدير 01095999314 اتصل الان مب&
- هنا صيانة كلفينيتور العجمى 01010916814 هوت لاين الم&
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording