While we didn't get the chance to test the full potential of the chipset due to software limitation, there is no doubt in our minds that the Opteron will make for a very capable graphics station/server solution. The K8T800 helps bring the much needed AGP 8X to the processor and now can be used as a hardcore gamer's machine, as well.
While we noticed that two processors are currently slower than a single processor, it will be interesting to see how much difference there is when more demanding games get released to the market, for example Doom 3 - to say the very least. The Opteron processor is going to be out of reach for a lot of people and we are going to find that more people will be looking at the Athlon 64 or Athlon FX which don't have support for SMP.
The Dual Opteron solution is going to give people big bragging rights. For this reason, you will find that people with extra cash wanting to buy one of these setups, will be going straight for a set of 244 Opteron processors or the newly released 246 (2GHz) processor, which currently cost almost two grand US for a pair - not for the faint-hearted!
It will be interesting to see what happens when more companies release motherboards with the K8T800 chipset but it won't be a hit with the enthusiast market due to the limitation of ECC memory given the added cost and lack of overclockability of the type of RAM.
Overall we have a very cool setup and VIA have done an excellent job with the K8T800; one of the best features would have to be the implementation of the VT8237 Southbridge as it carries with it a lot of very cool features including DriveStation.
As far as we have seen, it's not a gamer's platform due to the limitation in SMP supported games at the moment and the sheer cost of the platform. While such games as Quake 3 may support SMP, it's more relevant in a server situation; the load balancing will be a lot better giving the computer the ability to run more game servers off one PC. A similar Dual Opteron setup handled the QuakeCon 2003 servers beautifully: we got a chance to see just how well today with VIA's solution. Here we have one rock solid setup and it will be interesting to see what AMD, VIA, nVidia and other chip companies have in store for us in the wonderful world of 64-bit computing over the next 12 months as we just begin to scratch the surface.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 1 [Introduction]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 2 [AMD's Latest Processors]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 3 [K8T800 and VT8237 taking charge]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 4 [Photos]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 5 [A quick glance at overclocking]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Sandra]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetics]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Gaming]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Dual Processors Slower?]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 11 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- 6S Marketing hopes Apple names new phone the iPhone 7, not iPhone 6s
- Pandora announces Listener Love Day on Sept. 9, a day of ad-free music
- Xbox manager: 2015 shaping up to be best year of gaming since 2007
- Entrepreneur voices concerns robots could have on human workforce
- Simplify World Travel With the Twist Plus+ World Charging Station
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 support Intel SSD 750 Series
- Saberthooth 990FX gpu passtrough
- asrock x99 extreme 4 extra pins
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015