Why is it slower with two processors?
Unfortunately, due to the limitation in server testing software, the benchmarks we used didn't require the power of multiple processors to operate. In turn, this causes the computer to do more than is required to which produces the slow down.
The benchmarking software that would give us the opportunity to test the SMP Opteron platform to its fullest extent costs many thousands of dollars (Ed. Note - If any company wishes to sponsor us with this type of software, you are most welcomed!). Such software also needs a minimum of 10 computers running on a network at one time which makes it quite difficult for a lot of people to test with - which is the dilemma most media faces. With all this equipment, one benchmark with the program can take over 24hrs, making testing of multiple processors very time consuming.
People who have an understanding of SMP equipment would understand why the benchmarks are slower and also understand why you would purchase such equipment. Many programs aimed at people who use their computer as a Graphics Workstation have support for multiple processors and thus make good use of the powerful technology.
While we didn't see a performance increase in dual operation at the moment with the particular benchmarks we ran, we do see what the Opteron is capable of from a gamer's perspective. The memory bandwidth is very good considering it is only running at 166 MHz and CAS 2.5.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 1 [Introduction]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 2 [AMD's Latest Processors]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 3 [K8T800 and VT8237 taking charge]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 4 [Photos]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 5 [A quick glance at overclocking]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Sandra]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetics]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Gaming]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Dual Processors Slower?]
- VIA K8T800 Preview - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Alien: Isolation 2 isn't happening after all
- Call of Duty WWII features Nazi Zombies story co-op mode
- Call of Duty WWII releases November 3
- Stardock: Switch doesn't really need third-party games
- Project Scorpio 4K vs 1080p side by side comparison
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- Call of Duty: WWII delivers gripping action on global scale
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter