ABIT IS7-G Conclusions
ABIT, on the whole, have created a great board with only a few gripes we could really write home about. Layout and placement of connectors has been thought up a lot better than previous boards, while Firewire, Dual Serial ATA RAID options as well as the Gigabit Ethernet does make this a very tempting motherboard to purchase. However, there are a few issues that did come up.
First off is overclocking. ABIT has acknowledged a BIOS problem that limits FSB speeds to 255Mhz FSB; anything over this (even with unlocked CPU's) makes the system unstable.
Another issue was the removal of the CSA network controller over the PCI based 3Com Ethernet. Intel's own CSA allows for a much smoother networking experience with high bandwidth at the ready, so it was disappointing to see it left out.
Dual Serial ATA RAID
4-phase power system
Use of PCI Gigabit Ethernet over CSA Ethernet
Limited to 255FSB at present time
Rating - 8/10
Gigabyte 8PENXP Conclusions
Gigabyte has put together a back-to-back set of boards with identical layers and features with the 8PENXP and 8KNXP. Now it's not so hard to choose value or high performance as you get it on both. Layout wise, the board was very good with only the 4-pin power connector being the major flaw. Overclocking was good with FSB speeds in excess of 300MHz being reached, and with a great selection of voltages, Gigabyte has come up with yet another great board.
Serial ATA RAID
Parallel IDE RAID
DPRS rev 2.0 system for 6-phase power
Use of ICH5 over ICH5R
Rating - 9/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
Today we have concluded the Tier 1 testings with Gigabyte taking home the prizes. Stay tuned for the Tier 2 battle of EPoX vs. Albatron and Tier 3 with ECS taking on FIC.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 3 [Features - Gigabyte 8PENXP]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 4 [Features Continued - Gigabyte 8PENXP]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 5 [Features - ABIT IS7-G]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and SiSoft Sandra MAX3]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark2002]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 15 [Conclusions]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shares skyrocket to 8-year high
- Alienware Aurora reach reasonable price for Memorial Day
- GTA Online earns big for Take-Two
- Red Dead Redemption 2 built from scratch for consoles
- Square Enix to embrace games as a service business model
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 Review
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017