High Quality AA and AF
While we test all our games with maximum in-game settings, turning on Anti-Aliasing (AA) and Antistrophic Filtering (AF) helps take the intensity of our testing to another level.
Here we see video cards go from playable FPS to an unplayable FPS and the real power houses continue to help break that 60 FPS mark we always aim for to provide a smooth gaming experience.
Starting our AA and AF tests with Mafia II we can see that our increases are strong which again see us floating around the GTX 670 and GTX 680 level of performance. Like every other video card here, though, 2560 x 1600 just isn't an option, as we see all models fall below that 60 FPS number that we aim for that provides a smooth gaming experience.
Aliens vs. Predator sees some strong gains, but you can see we're behind the GTX 670 by a decent chunk still in this case, while overall we're just below that 60 FPS mark that we want at both resolutions. Only the HD 7970's manage to break the 60 FPS barrier at 1920 x 1200, while all cards fail to hit it at the more intensive 2560 x 1600 resolution.
Looking above you can see the overclock we managed to achieve out of the MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition is enough to break that 30 FPS minimum we need at 2560 x 1600. While people argue that Far Cry 2 isn't intensive, you can see that even powerful modern day video cards like the GTX 660 Ti struggle at running the game at its highest resolution.
Metro 2033 sees the GTX 660 Ti Power Edition still fall behind the GTX 670 when overclocked, which means we fall shy of that 60 FPS number that we want to hit at 1920 x 1200. Of course missing it at 1920 x 1200 means that it's not an option when we move to 2560 x 1600, too.
Finally we finish with Just Cause 2 and we see some nice gains which give us playable numbers at 1920 x 1200, but you can see like all our other video cards here; we again fail to hit the 60 FPS number that we want when we move to 2560 x 1600.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei unveils Honor Band A2 priced at $29
- The Note8 to have a fingerprint sensor under the display
- OnePlus teases the OnePlus 5 color options
- ISS crew on an urgent spacewalk after equipment failure
- Far Cry 5 may have exclusive content on PS4
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning