Before we get into the individual conclusions on each brand of RAM, here is a pricing graph to give you an idea on the cost of all the different memory as it is one of the most important aspects of your overall buying decision.
Prices were sourced from NewEgg and Price Watch - it is important to remember memory prices fluctuate daily and are only valid at time of writing.
- Crucial PC3200 Final Thoughts
Crucial have placed together this excellent module that was capable of not only pulling ahead at stock speeds but again when it came to overclocked results. Considering the memory was rated at CAS 3 DDR-400, it was interesting to find how high it was able to go with the more aggressive timings used throughout all our benchmarks.
Overall: Thanks to the fantastic speeds and great pricing Crucial have earned our TweakTown Editors Choice award and a rating of 9.5 out of 10.
- Mushkin PC3200 Final Thoughts
Mushkin have produced two excellent modules that are capable of doing some very high speeds at DDR-400. While it couldn't overclock as well, thanks to the excellent design of the modules they were still capable of holding up against the Crucial that had quite a large lead on it when it came to overclocked FSB. Unfortunately after all this they are let down with quite a high price tag which for people wanting DDR-400 memory is going to be out of reach.
Overall: Mushkin's PC3200 scores a very healthy 7.5 out of 10.
- Kingmax PC3200 Final Thoughts
Kingmax are the cheapest module available, is very quick and look very nice thanks to their new style of colored chips to help prevent chip piracy. Like the Crucial stick, this is going to be excellent for people wanting memory that will simply do DDR-400 speeds and being slightly cheaper then Crucial, it will be the perfect module for anyone interested in buying bulk.
The only thing that held it back was that is was limited by its overclocking, and while this will not be a big thing for a lot of people, Crucial were able to produce a stick with similar speeds and pricing but capable of handling higher clock speeds.
Overall: An excellent module for 90% of the market and scores a very high 9 out of 10 - second in place to Crucial.
- TwinMOS PC3200 Final Thoughts
TwinMOS memory was let down by poor DDR-400 performance and poor overclocking. While Mushkin and Kingmax could not achieve high FSB overclockability, due to the excellent design of their modules, they were still able to outperform TwinMOS.
TwinMOS have recently released some higher rated memory modules and it will be quite interesting to see how they perform.
Overall: TwinMOS scores a low 6 out of 10 as the price of the modules cost quite a bit.
- Buffalo PC3500 Final Thoughts
Buffalo, the memory company that we hadn't heard of before, did not do too well at DDR-400 but thanks to the high speed modules they were able to shine in the overclocking tests thanks to its high FSB which it was capable of reaching.
Overall: Considering 512 Meg modules are considered slower then 256 Meg modules, Buffalo have produced an excellent and affordable module which scores a very respectable 8 out of 10.
- Corsair PC3500 Final Thoughts
Corsair, who produces the most expensive modules, did similar to Buffalo where it was quite slow in our DDR-400 tests. Although thanks to the higher overclock they did quite well when overclocked.
Overall: The only thing holding back the Corsair modules is the high price which gives it a 7 out of 10.
We are already working on our follow-up to this roundup which will include memory modules from companies featured in this roundup and bunch of new ones. This is not the end.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 2 [Terminology]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 3 [Crucial PC3200]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 4 [Mushkin PC3200]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 5 [Kingmax PC3200]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 6 [TwinMOS PC3200]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 7 [Buffalo Technology PC3700]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 8 [Corsair PC3500]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 9 [Test Setup and Sandra Benchmarks]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - PC Mark]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3D Mark]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Synthetic Gaming]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Synthetic Gaming Continued]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Real World Gaming]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 15 [Overclocking Results]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 16 [Benchmarks - Sandra Overclocked]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 17 [Benchmarks - PC Mark 2002 and 3D Mark Overclocked]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 18 [Benchmarks - Synthetic Gaming Overclocked]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 19 [Benchmarks - Real World Gaming Overclocked]
- DDR-400 DC Memory Roundup PT1 - Page 20 [Pricing and Conclusions]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- ARCHOS unveils the larger screened Diamond Plus smartphone
- Star Wars: Battlefront beta hits in October, features 20v20 chaos
- Get Ahead of the iOS 9 Curve: Create Your Own iPhone Apps
- NVIDIA secures 81% of the GPU market according to JPR
- eSports betting startup Unikrn gets backed by Ashton Kutcher
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- Im happy I now signed up
- ASUSTOR AS5004T Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- Gigabyte G1 z170 Gaming 7 motherboard.
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20