As you'd expect the performance is really strong, but I think what is more interesting is the clocks that we got out of the video card today - they were awesome. Looking at the core clock of 1280MHz this is higher than we've seen out of any other HD 7970 which makes us feel that we were right about what these GHz Edition GPUs where capable of doing.
Outside of that, the 7000MHz or 7GHz QDR memory clock is truly amazing. What makes it even more impressive, though, is that it's on 6GB of GDDR5 instead of the standard 3GB that we're used to seeing on the HD 7970.
The Sapphire HD 7970 GHz TOXIC 6GB is truly going to be a video card enthusiasts want for the combination with the out of the box clocks, the clocks you're able to achieve and just the general performance. If you're after a single GPU solution, this is going to be a very enticing one.
What's going to be interesting is what we see other companies do now. Last year we saw MSI release an "Extreme" version of the GTX 580 which doubled the amount of GDDR5 that was present to 5GB. I really wonder if we'll see MSI do something similar with the HD 7970 GHz Edition. We'd say that an updated Lightning video card is even more justified this time as companies have these new cores to play with.
Of course MSI is just one company that we can think of. We've also got companies like HIS and ASUS to name just a couple of others. The big question regarding the model, though, isn't just the price, it's also the quantity we're going to see. This is probably going to be the biggest issue when it comes to the new GHz Edition.
Nonetheless, if you've got the money that the model will carry then this is probably no doubt going to be a video card that gets your attention. If you want to have some fun overclocking as well then the 6GB TOXIC monster will no doubt suit your tastes as you can attain fantastic performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Radeon RX Vega barely beats GTX 1070 in leaked results
- Blompkamp's 'Alien' sequel won't 'see the light of day'
- First look at how Musk's underground tunnels might work
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- G1 Sniper 2 rev 1.0 wont boot with GtX 1070
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives