I'd skip this driver for the simple reason that the same day we saw this WHQL driver, the Catalyst 12.7 Beta hit us and from our original testing with the HD 7970 GHz Edition, we're really happy with what's going on with that driver.
It also seems the 12.7 Beta is one that AMD are going to focus on when it comes to performance which is something that we haven't seen in a while. Of course later this month when the official WHQL hits us we'll check out the Catalyst 12.7 driver. For now, though, we'd recommend you hit up that Beta driver over this WHQL one.
On the specifics of this driver performance, it is a little all over the place. At times we see a nice little bump other times we can see a decent dip in performance. For the most part, though, we see that there's really no change between this 12.6 driver and the 12.4 WHQL driver.
The next few months are going to be important for AMD. The 12.7 driver is going to be important as it should focus more on the performance side of things and AMD need to release the Dual GPU HD 7990 that is hopefully not too far away.
For now, though, you can probably skip this driver and go for the 12.7 Beta.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Release Note Highlights]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlegrounds on Xbox One X: 30-40FPS with 100 in server
- Full PC with AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper starts at just $1699
- AMD Ryzen 5 2500U spotted, new APU rocks Vega GPU tech
- AMD Radeon RX Vega could be priced at up to $850
- Ryzen ThreadRipper delidded: half its CPU dies disabled
- Fnatic Gear RUSH G1 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Asrock A88M-G/3.1 + A10-7860K = freezes in the idle state
- ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 3G: Mid-Range On The Cheap
- AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review
- Lian-Li PC-O5SW...Watercooling and dimensions
- Toshiba introduces TR200 SATA retail SSD series with 64-layer 3D flash memory
- Need for Speed Payback takes cars from scrap to stock to supercar in new trailer
- Visbit releases Unity SDK and web VR player for its all-in-one VR streaming service, bringing high quality VR streaming to the masses
- GWENT Gamescom 2017 tournament announced
- Toshiba NVMe SSDs now available with Lenovo's new ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers