I'd skip this driver for the simple reason that the same day we saw this WHQL driver, the Catalyst 12.7 Beta hit us and from our original testing with the HD 7970 GHz Edition, we're really happy with what's going on with that driver.
It also seems the 12.7 Beta is one that AMD are going to focus on when it comes to performance which is something that we haven't seen in a while. Of course later this month when the official WHQL hits us we'll check out the Catalyst 12.7 driver. For now, though, we'd recommend you hit up that Beta driver over this WHQL one.
On the specifics of this driver performance, it is a little all over the place. At times we see a nice little bump other times we can see a decent dip in performance. For the most part, though, we see that there's really no change between this 12.6 driver and the 12.4 WHQL driver.
The next few months are going to be important for AMD. The 12.7 driver is going to be important as it should focus more on the performance side of things and AMD need to release the Dual GPU HD 7990 that is hopefully not too far away.
For now, though, you can probably skip this driver and go for the 12.7 Beta.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Release Note Highlights]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch retail packaging wastes so much space
- Mass Effect: Andromeda's combat looks amazingly fun
- Top 15 Presidents Day Kaby Lake laptop deals for 2017
- AMD Ryzen CPUs spotted in the flesh, retail boxes too
- LG officially announces the G6 camera specs
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league