I'd skip this driver for the simple reason that the same day we saw this WHQL driver, the Catalyst 12.7 Beta hit us and from our original testing with the HD 7970 GHz Edition, we're really happy with what's going on with that driver.
It also seems the 12.7 Beta is one that AMD are going to focus on when it comes to performance which is something that we haven't seen in a while. Of course later this month when the official WHQL hits us we'll check out the Catalyst 12.7 driver. For now, though, we'd recommend you hit up that Beta driver over this WHQL one.
On the specifics of this driver performance, it is a little all over the place. At times we see a nice little bump other times we can see a decent dip in performance. For the most part, though, we see that there's really no change between this 12.6 driver and the 12.4 WHQL driver.
The next few months are going to be important for AMD. The 12.7 driver is going to be important as it should focus more on the performance side of things and AMD need to release the Dual GPU HD 7990 that is hopefully not too far away.
For now, though, you can probably skip this driver and go for the 12.7 Beta.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Release Note Highlights]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro expected mid-October
- Xbox Scorpio's true 4K res won't be easy for developers
- NVIDIA shows off 4K 60FPS footage of Titanfall 2 on PC
- NVIDIA's new Xavier chip is super-fast, powered by Volta
- Star Citizen boss: it's the 'best damn everything sim'
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now