The other day we looked at the brand new HD 7970 GHz Edition from AMD and something that we thought would be big for this model is the overclocking ability. To offer such a strong clock out of the box AMD would've no doubt had to make sure they have cherry picked GPUs.
What we're hoping is that not only have these GPUs brought with them a stronger stock clock, but also a stronger overclock that helps boost performance even further. So that's exactly what we're going to do today; find out just what kind of overclock we're able to get out of the new HD 7970 GHz Edition.
Of course there's not a whole lot to cover as we're not only dealing with a reference card which has no bundle, but we also looked at the video card the other day. If you're interested in a closer look at the card I recommend that you check out our original launch article we just linked to above.
From here we'll simply move into the overclocking side of things and with the help of MSI Afterburner we'll find out just what kind of MHz we're able to get out of the video card here today. Once we've done that we'll move into the test system side of things and cover the cards that we'll be using in today's graphs before we finally get into the performance side of things and find out just what this new HD 7970 is able to offer us on the overclocking side.
Before we cover what we achieved today, let's just quickly go over the original speeds we saw on the HD 7970 and the ones on the GHz Edition. In December when the HD 7970 launched we had a core clock of 925MHz and the 3GB of GDDR5 came in at 5500MHz QDR. The new GHz Edition that just launched pushed those clocks to 1050MHz and 6000MHz QDR.
Looking above you can see with the help of MSI Afterburner we ended up pushing the core to 1165MHz while the 3GB of GDDR5 came in at 6800MHz QDR.
This compares to the original HD 7970 which found itself sitting around the 1100MHz / 6100MHz QDR mark when overclocked.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Nintendo won't be at E3 2017
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Unikrn expands into Vegas, acquires eSports firm LEET
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives