So, the first thing we've got to say is that we're still dealing with early versions of these CPUs. They're both early samples, they're both engineering samples and we're still five weeks away from the official launch of the Ivy Bridge platform on a whole. So, like everything that we've done related to the Ivy Bridge platform, we've kept it as a pure preview. We're not giving any kind of verdict yet on the CPUs.
From a pure MHz perspective, it's not that hard to find yourself a little disappointed with what you're seeing. But really there's two important pieces of information that have to be remembered. The first is that our 2600k is a really good overclocker. I actually bought this particular 2600k because every ES sample we got was only hitting around the 4.9GHz mark. It also carried with it a really strong memory controller, which is great for memory overclocking.
The second is that so many times we saw that MHz isn't everything. At times our i7 3770k comes in 400MHz slower than our 2600k and is able to outperform it. Not all the time, but when it came to real-world situations, it puts up a tough fight. Quite often when it falls behind, it doesn't look like a chip that is running 400MHz slower.
On a whole overclocking is a little bit of a mixed bag, though. The good news is I think as we see later versions of silicon we'll see some better numbers in term of overall heat and hopefully higher clocks. These new CPUs seem to have no issue dealing with some massive voltage, it's just at the moment the heat is quite high for them.
Overall we've got a good idea of where the platform is going and we're seeing some awesome results from companies like G.Skill with some huge RAM MHz being seen along with companies like GIGABYTE who are also making that MHz possible on the RAM and CPU side of things.
There's more to the Ivy Bridge platform then just the CPU, though. We've got some nice features being added to the platform which is something we'll cover in more detail when the wraps is officially taken off the platform next month.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - PCMark 7 and HyperPi]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PassMark PerformanceTest]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH, Adobe Lightroom and MediaEspresso]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11 and Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 8 [Power and Temperature Tests]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset