Well, with five coolers from three different manufacturers to play with, it is time for some test results. But before we start that, we'll take a peek at the test system and the conditions.
The tests performed on this cooler will follow my standard guidelines for determining cooling performance on a heatsink. This will consist of measuring the temperature at idle, after a grueling Quake III Deathmatch, and finally after a looping run of the 3DMark2001 Demo. Once these results have been tallied, I'll boost the FSB to 145MHz and run the tests again. While not an aggressive overclock, it will serve to show how well this cooler does under both normal and overclocked conditions. Ambient air temperature is a stable 21C throughout tests and voltages are set at 1.8v for the processor and 2.6v for the memory.
The test system will consist of:
Xoxide modified Lian-Li PC60 Case
EPoX 8K9A2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Processor (Palomino core)
512MB Crucial PC2700 DDR Memory
nVidia Reference Ti4200
Seagate Barracuda 40GB Hard Drive
Arctic Silver III
The graphics for our tests will have two results shown. In all cases, the top result in a given category will be the default speed test scores and the second will be the overclocked results.
Results - Idle
So far the Gladiator is taking a commanding lead. While not an actual competition, we always want to see the best results. It should be noted that the Thermal Integration unit was not run in the overclocked tests. You'll see on the next set of results that we were nearing the dreaded 50 degree mark when in a default speed, so I wasn't going to give it the chance to possibly damage a processor. I have never endorsed a cooler that results in temperatures above 50 degrees, so I won't start now.
Well, that was entertaining, but lets see what happens when we add a little stress to the system.
Results - Quake III Arena Deathmatch
This makes things a bit more interesting. There are a couple items of note, though.
Take note of the new Dominator cooler. Though not winning the results wars, it is producing some remarkable results for a small fan. Even overclocked on the hotter Palomino processor, the sink is producing some very workable temperatures and at a near total lack of noise!
Also of note is the Spire FridgeRock cooler. During load tests, I was barely able to break past 4,000RPM on the fan. The unit as a whole should be able to do better, so hopefully in the future Spire will give control of the fan speeds to the user instead of automating it. While not producing poor results, they could be so much better.
Results - 3DMark2001 Demo Loop
While the Gladiator came out on top again, the FridgeRock cooler made an impressive effort in this run. I still think that we would be seeing different results if only the speed was able to be manipulated by the user.
Taking another look at the Dominator, we have seen that the textured fin technology seems to have paid off. With a small fan and minimal noise, we have managed to attain temperatures that others can only dream about. Granted, the case I use has exceptional airflow, but the results are still far better than some other models that have gone through the same series of tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Acer shows off Chromebook R 11, a convertible Chromebook
- Vantage Robotics shows off Snap, a safe drone with a 4K camera
- Star Wars: Battlefront won't have server browsers on PC
- We are looking for a professional YouTuber for video content
- Digitize Photos, Important Files, and More in 8 Seconds
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015