Well well, that was boring. To be honest, quite often when we see no performance mentions in the release notes, there's sometimes a little bit of movement here and there, but comparing the latest set to the previous ones, there's no difference across the board under any settings it seems.
The thing is, though, last month the 11.6 set was quite a major release; before that the 11.4 series was, and at the moment it looks like the 11.8 set that is going to come to us in August will probably be a major release as well. It seems we're getting this strong driver release, then a more bug fix orientated one, then another strong driver release and then a bug fix orientated one.
It's not a bad thing, but it does make testing the latest driver a little boring as you enter almost identical FPS on every benchmark. So, should you upgrade? Only if you're having problems with the 11.6! There's no reason to otherwise; if everything is running like a dream, with no change in performance, there seems to be no good reason to update to the latest iteration.
There's not really that much else that needs to be said about the latest driver. The results really speak for themselves. The only two things I would leave you with is, check out the latest Release Notes to make sure that there's no bug fixes that might fix an issue you're having. The second is, if you're feeling a little adventurous, you might want to head on over to the AMD website and grab the 11.8 Preview which does offer us some performance increases.
I think that just about covers everything, though, so let's leave it at that and we'll take a close look at the Catalyst 11.8 Driver Suite when it officially hits us up some time next month.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch not backward compatible with Wii U games
- Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine one last time in 'Logan'
- Ubisoft teases 'game changing' patch for The Division
- AMD's new RSCE 16.10.2 drivers ready for Battlefield 1
- AMD to launch cut-down RX 470, competes with GTX 1050 Ti
- GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - F20b BIOS BUG?
- Unable To Update AMD GPU Driver
- EVGA DG-87 Full-Tower Gaming Chassis Review
- New PC - no display on a screen, 3 beeps
- windows usb install file
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system
- PowerColor starts selling the DEVIL Box external graphics solution
- ESL to power PlayStation 4 competitive gaming
- Samsung rolls out industry's first 8GB LPDDR4 DRAM package