Well well, that was boring. To be honest, quite often when we see no performance mentions in the release notes, there's sometimes a little bit of movement here and there, but comparing the latest set to the previous ones, there's no difference across the board under any settings it seems.
The thing is, though, last month the 11.6 set was quite a major release; before that the 11.4 series was, and at the moment it looks like the 11.8 set that is going to come to us in August will probably be a major release as well. It seems we're getting this strong driver release, then a more bug fix orientated one, then another strong driver release and then a bug fix orientated one.
It's not a bad thing, but it does make testing the latest driver a little boring as you enter almost identical FPS on every benchmark. So, should you upgrade? Only if you're having problems with the 11.6! There's no reason to otherwise; if everything is running like a dream, with no change in performance, there seems to be no good reason to update to the latest iteration.
There's not really that much else that needs to be said about the latest driver. The results really speak for themselves. The only two things I would leave you with is, check out the latest Release Notes to make sure that there's no bug fixes that might fix an issue you're having. The second is, if you're feeling a little adventurous, you might want to head on over to the AMD website and grab the 11.8 Preview which does offer us some performance increases.
I think that just about covers everything, though, so let's leave it at that and we'll take a close look at the Catalyst 11.8 Driver Suite when it officially hits us up some time next month.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Harrison Ford has seen 'Force Awakens' final cut
- Nintendo's 'Mario Kart' eSports show coming to DisneyXD channel
- MSI Z170A Krait motherboard includes Rainbow Six Siege, new design
- GeForce 359.06 driver prepares you for Just Cause 3, Rainbow Six Siege
- Chrome Data Saver mode now reduces data usage up to 70%
- conroe 1333dvi/h beta bios
- Tenda AC15 AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- Nokia Technologies announces commercial availability of OZO virtual reality camera
- SingEx Exhibitions Expands Footprint in China with Partnership to Launch IoT China
- IGEL UDC2 now converts enterprise-class Dell Wyse thin clients
- Technology and Innovation Key to Cost Reduction and Capital Efficiency as Companies Strive to Meet Future Energy Demand, IHS Says
- Patriot Introduces 128GB Compact USB Flash Drives for Optimal Portable Storage Solutions