RAID Reports are kind of like show and tell around here. We don't issue a final score or keep track of benchmark wins. The aim is to show what is possible when you use the tools included with your motherboard and double up your SSD purchase.
At 600 USD a pair of Patriot Wildfire drives doesn't come cheap when looking at the situation under a microscope. Pan out a bit and seeing 1GB/s performance for 600 USD is another story. Last year you needed four SSDs to hit the magical 1GB/s mark. Four 60GB SandForce SF-1200 drives was really just the start, though. Last year's chipsets had a difficult time delivering 800+MB/s, so even then you weren't getting 1GB/s performance unless you used an add-on RAID controller, most of which cost more than 600 USD on their own. In the grand scheme of things, the Patriot Wildfire when doubled and tossed in a RAID 0 array on a modern motherboard with native SATA III RAID is somewhat of a bargain and most definitely a great achievement in performance.
Yes, I said it, a bargain, but there should be a clause there as well. If you aren't moving large files around often and are one of the people who mainly plays games, surfs TwitFace and such, then you are not going to see a lot of day-to-day increases. A single drive will be fine for normal people.
Then there are those of us that can't be called normal people. If you are in the market for a 240GB SSD, you have two options. The first is to buy a 240GB SSD and call it a day. You get a lot of capacity that is ultra fast. Option number 2 is the one I really like. Buy two 120GB drives for around the same amount as a 240GB, toss them in RAID 0 and don't look back. With this option you get the best of both worlds; fast day-to-day speed just like the single drive and an amazing 1GB/s when transferring large files.
With both options you have 240GB of space to play around with, but one is faster at several tasks while the other is just plain fast. So, fast or faster ..I'm going with faster!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ashley Madison growing, including almost 90K women last week
- Square Enix: Final Fantasy XV will launch to gamers sometime in 2016
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided scheduled for Feb. 23, 2016 launch
- Konami: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is 'stunning' on PC
- New $499 Elite Xbox One model sports 1TB SSDHD, Elite controller
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20