Before we begin
E7205 codename Granite Bay chipset courtesy (with permission) OC Workbench
Let me first make it clear to you all that we do not yet have a Granite Bay motherboard in our labs for testing. The information you find in this article is based purely on documentation curtsey of Gigabyte Technology. We wanted to provide you, our readers, with a little bit of coverage on Intel's latest release today by means of our initial thoughts and opinions.
Now we've got that sorted, let's continue on
- Hyper-Threading, an obvious inclusion
As well as being the first retail chipset available on the market to support Dual Channel DDR-266 memory, the Granite Bay chipset supports Hyper-Threading (HT) technology which is found in all Pentium 4 3.06GHz processors and above - and possibly even slower Northwood based processors as hinted by several tech sites over the past few days, such as VR-Zone Hardware.
In the most basic of terms, HT makes a dual processor compatible Operating System actually think the system has two physical processors when in fact the technology breaks the single processor into two logical processors. Our results showed roughly a 20% increase in performance compared to when HT was disabled. For more information on HT, you can read a detailed description over at X-Bit Labs.
- Intel 82801 ICH4
Intel 82801 ICH4 chipset courtesy (with permission) OC Workbench
Coupled with its new ICH4 (pictured above), the Granite Bay includes support for FSB 533/400MHz, AGP 8x, ATA133 and USB 2.0.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ADATA's new 256GB micro SDXC hits 260 MB/s write speeds
- Sony to unveil new phones on February 27
- Valve wants to make Source 2 engine free for all devs
- Microsoft buys leading API studio Simplygon
- Path of Exile is coming to Xbox One
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni
- NZXT reveals new Puck cable management system
- Synology unveils Surveillance Station 8.0
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup