ASUS have put together a superb board for their Intel flagship. Designed with all the expansion and upgrade options in mind, you will not find this board so far out of date in the next 2-3 months as other will.
Building on their premmies of all onboard, you get yourself Firewire, RAID and serial ATA with USB 2.0, Intel I845PE chipset with support for the latest Hyper Threading CPU's as well as some fabulous Overclocking options.
On the Overclocking field, the ASUS board was able to pull out 167Mhz FSB for our P4 CPU, not to shabby for a 2.8Ghz CPU.
- Ultra Stable
- Good Overclocking options
- RAID onboard
- Serial ATA
- Uses VT6307 Firewire controller rather than VT6306
- BIOS could use a few tweaks for memory control
Rating 9 out of 10 and TweakTown Editors Choice
Gigabyte has built on the design of their 8IRXP and 8IEPX experiences to bring the 8PE667 Ultra. Designed to run the next generation FSB CPU that will move to 667Mhz, this board is ready for the future. RAID and USB 2.0 are all standard as well as adding an extra USB controller for up to 10 USB ports. Though this seems like well too many ports, who knows what the future will bring with USB 2.0 devices.
Unfortunately, Serial ATA has been left out as well as Firewire. Firewire was a big hit on the 8IEPX and 8IRXP as it allowed three Firewire ports for total connectivity. The inclusion of Serial ATA controller would have been a novel approach to the board as it allows for a better overall system look, especially with the thin cables serial ATA requires.
Overclocking was also fantastic, though only 1.75v was usable; we managed over 172Mhz FSB, outperforming the ASUS attempt.
- Ultra overclocker
- 667Mhz FSB support
- 10 USB 2.0 ports
- Max Vcore of 1.75v
- No Serial ATA or Firewire
Rating 9 out of 10 and TweakTown Editors Choice.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 2 [ASUS Specifications]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 3 [Gigabyte Specifications]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 4 [Features of the ASUS P4PE - Part 1]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 5 [Features of the ASUS P4PE - Part 2]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 6 [Features of the Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra - Part 1]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 7 [Features of the Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra - Part 2]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 9 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC and 3D]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 11 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 13 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox One S now gets free game of choice from Microsoft
- Apple's total cost to manufacture the iPhone 7 is $225
- Dota 2 the first to host a tournament on a cruise ship
- NVIDIA chip in the 'next revolutionary Apple product'
- Our closest look at the Google Pixel smartphone yet
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now