This was a really interesting piece to do as the setup holds more value to a lot of people because there's already a lot of HD 6970s on out there in people's machines. It paints an extremely positive picture for CrossFireX scaling and overall just creates amazing performance.
Achieving the same memory clock as the HD 6970 should be fairly easy and because you're upping the memory and not the core you don't actually need to increase the voltage on the card, which means heat won't be as bad. To be honest, you could almost try running the HD 6990 in its out of the box mode with the core at 830 MHz and lower stock voltage and try to achieve 880MHz without the need for the extra voltage.
What's funny is that doing this after the HD 6990 CFX setup, this one almost seems to have exceptional value; and it does compared to that considering the price difference is 20%, while the performance difference isn't even 10%. Sure, on a whole there's better value setups, but the TPR paints the perfect picture and that tells us that there's only one setup that we've tested in house faster than this one.
You hate to throw the word value around when you're talking about a video card setup that dives into the four figure region, but if you're already the owner of a HD 6970 2GB the setup becomes a little easier to swallow.
What this setup does over other triple GPU setups from both AMD and NVIDIA is continue to offer you some breathing space on your motherboard. To get this much performance and still have room for a sound card or RAID card is just amazing, and I think that's what's going to really appeal to people in the long run.
Sure, the setup is nothing more than a pipedream for some people, but the performance overall is just amazing and if you've got the money to spend this is exactly the kind of setup you should be looking at. A quick tinker with the HD 6990s memory clock and you're going to have some insane performance in no time. Even leaving the card at stock, though, will yield performance very similar.
I'm a little in awe of the amount of power on offer from this two card, three GPU setup. Simply Amazing!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package Pictures]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PSN Flash Sale has Valentine's day inspired deals
- Facebook Messenger to support SMS soon, rumors indicate
- Class-action suit filed against Apple over iPhone error 53
- Apple rumored to partner with Dr. Dre for TV drama
- Google will soon retire Picasa photo service
- Extreme Problem (not alone)
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives