You're going to have people that argue 2GB is a must have for these higher end cards and while in some instances it might be nice, you can see that at even 2560 x 1600 there doesn't really seem to be any difference. In the end, for the price you're able to get two of these 1GB models for, you'd be crazy to spend more on a single card solution that carries more memory, because it just wouldn't be faster.
This is just a really good setup for people who want some serious performance and don't want to have to worry about gaming at just about any resolution. With most people having boards that support two cards in CrossFire and the setup on a whole costing a good couple hundred dollars less than the new HD 6990 4GB, you can see why it would be such a popular option.
Covering the actual card itself, there's not really much to say with it just using the reference cooler. There are no real surprises and we didn't test it alone because we had already tested the Sapphire version by itself. Considering out of the box we saw the same clocks from it, we knew that performance would be the same bar a difference that is brought in by drivers.
If you're happy to go down the two card path this is probably one of the most desirable options from AMD at the moment. The fact that the cards carry with them only 1GB instead of the 2GB we saw at launch means that the price comes down.
When it comes to overall performance on comparing the 2GB and 1GB cards there's really no difference in both single and dual card form, so there's not a huge reason to spend the extra money associated with the 2GB card.
Lastly, though, if this was 12 months ago we would be saying it's all good and that, but the NVIDIA option of GTX 460 SLI would be a better choice for the simple fact that in SLI the performance was just stronger. Even when compared against AMD cards they were slightly faster by themselves. AMD has done a wonderful job with the 6000 series, though, and we're really seeing massive performance gains from them and when it comes down to bang for buck for multi GPU setups, this is one of the best on the market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, The Card and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows 10 changelog site launched
- Tales of Symphonia mod fixes stuttering, resolution issues
- ViewSonic's 4K FreeSync capable gaming monitor now available
- FCC filing confirms 3600mAh battery for Galaxy S7 Edge
- Voice dictation coming to Apple TV
- Cougar 450M Ambidextrous Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance