Because we didn't have the chance to pump more voltage through the core, we knew that our overclock was never going to be as strong. Saying that, though, we did get a nice increase overall with the core finishing up at 840MHz and the memory jumping up 400MHz QDR to a nice 4400MHz QDR.
Overall we saw a really nice boost in performance across the board in all games and all resolutions and what we've ended up doing is making a setup that costs under $400 even more desirable.
The best thing is, once we've finally got some decent overclocking software that works on the Crossfire setup you're going to be able to achieve even higher clocks speeds and while it's fairly safe to say we won't see the same 1050MHz speeds that we saw on the GIGABYTE HD 6850 due to two cards being close together, we should be up and over 900MHz.
The value of these midrange cards means that going Crossfire on them is a good option. While the HD 5770 in Crossfire was a great little setup, the HD 5870 and its aggressive price meant that you really were better off getting just one of them. The current lack of HD 6900 series cards, though, and excellent scaling on the HD 6800 series means that this is a fantastic setup and while no doubt the HD 6900 series in Crossfire will perform even faster, they're going to cost more at the same time.
No doubt it'll be interesting to see how the new HD 6900 series competes against these more budget orientated Crossfire setups. If you're ready to get your game on, though, and your budget is around the $400 mark, don't think about getting one HD 6870 now and then another later down the track, because it rarely ever happens. Go out and pick up a pair of HD 6850s today, bump the clocks up a little and enjoy some awesome gaming.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Intel will be pushing eDRAM into its Iris and Iris Pro graphics
- Intel calls their new Skylake CPUs their 'best CPU ever'
- ASRock unveils the H2R, a Chromecast-like HDMI dongle
- ARCHOS unveils the larger screened Diamond Plus smartphone
- Star Wars: Battlefront beta hits in October, features 20v20 chaos
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- Im happy I now signed up
- ASUSTOR AS5004T Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20