We've welcomed the new HD 6800 series with open arms and while the HD 6870 might be the faster of the two cards, the HD 6850 represents some great value for money. When we add a second one into the mix we do see that the overall value does dip slightly, but the performance gains are really strong.
While we ran over a few speed humps early on when we looked at the HD 6850, it's nice to know that it's smooth sailing from here on out. With the correct 960 Shader HD 6850 already looked at by itself, overclocked and in Crossfire, it's time to place the last piece into our puzzle.
That is of course the HD 6850 in Crossfire, overclocked! - We're not going to go into much detail outside of specifications because we've already looked at the HIS HD 6850 before, and we've also looked at the HD 6850 in Crossfire at stock speeds earlier this week. Instead we'll just quickly look at how we overclocked and what we ended up with.
Overclocking on the HD 6800 series cards when in Crossfire is a bit of hit and miss. A lot of programs at the moment are having trouble overclocking two cards, which meant that Voltage Adjustment was out for the moment.
Instead we just opted for the Overdrive feature in the Catalyst drivers which while not giving us the most options, does ultimately let us clock both cards and adjust the core clock and memory clock.
Without extra voltage we managed to bump the core clock from 775MHz to 840MHz and the memory went from 4000MHz QDR to 4400MHz QDR. It's not a huge overclock, but the inability to add more voltage to the core was going to limit our core overclock. Either way, we should see a nice little performance increase.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Apple expected to launch even thinner MacBook Air models next year
- New 'Batman V Superman' teaser revels in animosity
- USB-C connector updated with Intel's Thunderbolt 3 transfer protocol
- Crimson Edition hotfix driver released, fixes fan and game issues
- Just Cause 3 experiencing performance issues on the PS4
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- [ASROCK A75 PRO4] What should my next step be?
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- AMD Promotes Renowned Graphics Architect Michael Mantor to Corporate Fellow
- IEM San Jose doubles viewership, raises US$38k for charity and crowns new champions
- Students pitch ideas to gaming guru
- Announcing The Live TwitchTV Launch Of Stellar Stars On Steam Greenlight and IndieGoGo This December 1st
- Black Friday - The action game! 45 seconds of fun, fast paced colourful satire. 'Beat The Crowd'