The HD 6850 in itself is a great card and a great introduction to the HD 6000 series. When we looked at the 1120 cards in Crossfire and HD 6870 in Crossfire, we saw how strong Crossfire performance was and how it has seemed to really improve since the HD 5000 series.
With the HD 6900 series being delayed till December, making it possible that getting one before the holidays could be near impossible, you have to start thinking about what video card setup you should be using when you get some time off.
While we haven't tested the GTX 580 yet, it does seem like a good option. The problem at the moment is it's expensive, and the second issue is stock with 11 being listed on Newegg and only two being available which both cost over $500.
Dual card setups continue to be a slight turn off for some people, but there's really very little reason to not look at it these days. The power requirements of a setup like the one we're looking at today aren't major and performance is extremely strong. The most important thing you need to look at is scaling and it's not uncommon to see gains of nearly 100% which means that the value in the setup is very strong.
For under $400 you're going to get a great setup here that most people are going to really enjoy. The optimum resolution for the HD 6850 in Crossfire would probably be 1920 x 1200, because you can see just about everything we play at that resolution gets a average of 60 FPS which is exactly what you want.
The performance compared to our 1120 cards is slightly down, but that doesn't come as a surprise. Overall, its performance continues to be very good and that's the most important thing.
The performance you get for a setup that costs a good chunk under $400 is very impressive thanks to the improved scaling AMD has given us. Add in other nice features like the improved Tessellation numbers along with the good heat and noise numbers and you've got a really nice setup that most people are going to be happy with.
All we've got to do now is look at what happens when we overclock this already impressive Crossfire setup. Stay tuned for another article later this week!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ZOTAC's new mini PC packs full-sized GeForce GTX 1080
- Brand new Intel Kaby Lake HP laptops, up to $510 Off
- ZOTAC teams with Thermaltake on new GTX 1080 ArcticStorm
- Pokemon GO in-game Halloween event set for Oct 26 to Nov
- AMD confirms high-end Zen CPU launch for early 2017
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software
- Lenovo debuts commercial desktops and notebooks featuring 7th generation AMD PRO processors
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards