SiS 648 - The Pentium 4 King
The SiS648 Host & Memory & AGP Controller integrates a high performance host interface for the Intel Pentium 4 processor. A high performance memory controller, an AGP interface and SiS MuTIOL 1G Technology connecting w/ SiS963 MuTIOL 1G Media IO. The SiS648 Host Interface features the AGTL & AGTL+ compliant bus driver technology with integrated on-die termination to support Intel Pentium 4 series processors with FSB 400MHz/533MHz. It provides a 12-level In-Order-Queue to support maximum outstanding transactions on the host bus up to 12. The host interface plays the role of processor transactions dispatcher. It dispatches transactions to Memory, I/O interface and AGP bus. Transactions to different destinations can be dispatched concurrently in order to maximize pipeline efficiency. In addition to dispatching processor's transactions to corresponding destinations, host interface also forward DMA transactions from AGP masters and I/O masters to host bus for snooping, including master interrupt delivery.
The memory controller supports DDR only. It can offer bandwidth up to 2.7GB/s under DDR333 in order to sustain the bandwidth demand from host processor, as well as the multi I/O masters and AGP masters. The Memory Controller mainly comprises the Memory Arbiter, the M-data/M-Command Queues, and the Memory Interface. The Memory Arbiter arbitrates a plenty of memory access Host Controller, and I/O bus masters based on a default optimized priority list with the capability of dynamically prioritizing the I/O bus master requests in a bid to offering privileged service to 1) the isochronous downstream transfer to guarantee the min. latency & timely delivery, or 2) the PCI master upstream transfer to curb the latency within the maximum tolerant period of 10us. Prior to the memory access requests pushed into the M-data queue, any command compliant to the paging mechanism is generated and pushed into the M-CMD queue. The M-data/M-CMD Queues further orders and forwards these queuing requests to the Memory Interface in an effort to utilizing the memory bandwidth to its utmost by scheduling the command requests in the background when the data requests streamlines in the foreground. The memory controller also supports the Suspend to RAM function by retaining the CKE# pins asserted in ACPI S3 state in which only AUX source deliver power.
The AGP interface can support an external AGP slot with AGP 4X/8X capability and Fast Write Transactions. A high bandwidth and mature SiS MuTIOL 1G technology is incorporated to connect SiS648 and SiS963 MuTIOL 1G Media I/O together. SiS MuTIOL 1G technology is developed into three layers, the Multi-threaded I/O Link Layer delivering 1.2GB bandwidth to connect embedded DMA Master devices and external PCI masters to interface to Multi-threaded I/O Link layer, the Multi-threaded I/O Packet Layer in SiS963 to transfer data w/ 1 GB/s bandwidth from/to Multi-threaded I/O Link layer to/from SiS648, and the Multi-threaded I/O Packet Layer in SiS648 to transfer data w/ 1 GB/s from/to Multi-threaded I/O Link layer to/from SiS963.
The SiS 648 on paper is a full on attempt by SiS to improve upon the 645DX design. With the 645DX we got DDR-333 support and started to build on a successful design. The 648 adds to this by integrating a new memory controller, which is somewhat faster than its predecessor. Add to this a new Southbridge with a 1GB/s transfer between the North and Southbridges (perfect for the features the 963 supports). The SiS 648 is also unofficially supporting DDR-400 and from test results we have seen around the web, it has been doing that with ease, no problems with running at high speeds.
Below is an architectural diagram for your reference.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 1 [Introduction]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 2 [Intel i845E and G]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 3 [SiS 645DX]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 4 [VIA Apollo P4X400]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 5 [SiS 648]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 6 [Chipsets Head to Head]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 7 [Boards Used]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 9 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Multimedia Productivity]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 12 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 14 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo sold 2.74 million Switch systems in first month
- Nintendo profits increase by 521%
- Tekken 7's boxing kangaroo nixed due to animal activists
- GeForce GT 1030 to cost $80, will compete against RX 550
- 'Kingsman' sequel releases first explosive trailer
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives