VIA P4X400 - The little chipset that couldn't
The VIA Apollo P4X400 is one of the most feature rich and powerful chipsets ever produced. DDR333 memory support, offering 20% more memory bandwidth to the CPU,and the ultra-fast 400/533MHz processor bus unleash the full power of today's and tomorrow's Intel Pentium 4 processors, enabling stunning performance across the full spectrum of applications. In addition, the VIA Apollo P4X400 supports the very latest I/O technologies including AGP 8X deriving maximum performance from the most powerful graphics cards and new 8X V-link chip interconnect with 533MB/s of bandwidth between North and Southbridge enabling the processor to exploit the full potential of peripheral devices.
The new VT8235 South Bridge also features first to market innovations including support for six USB 2.0 ports for peripheral connectivity 40 times faster than USB 1.1 and ATA-133 support, the fastest IDE interface available, making total system performance a reality. Additional features integrated into the Southbridge include VIA MAC for 10/100Mbps Ethernet, integrated PCI support, 6 Channel Surround Sound AC'97 audio and MC-97 modem.
The VIA P4X400 strikes me as the little chipset that couldn't. The P4X400 is a re-make of the P4X333, an earlier version that was supposed to bring the first available AGP8x chipset to market, but instead crashed and burned when AGP8x was attempted. Another feature of the P4X400, or lack of feature, is that this chipset was supposed to be able to support DDR-400. However, VIA hasn't been able to get DDR-400 modules to work with their chipset. This has led VIA to only support DDR-333.
Below is an architectural diagram for your reference.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 1 [Introduction]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 2 [Intel i845E and G]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 3 [SiS 645DX]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 4 [VIA Apollo P4X400]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 5 [SiS 648]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 6 [Chipsets Head to Head]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 7 [Boards Used]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 9 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Multimedia Productivity]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 12 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- 533FSB Shootout - Page 14 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ocarina of Time gets an enchanting Unreal Engine 4 makeover
- ASUS unveils the new Poseidon Platinum GTX 980 Ti video card
- Sony unveils the Xperia Z5 Premium, the world's first 4K smartphone
- Hideo Kojima: The players are everything, I get my energy from them
- ASUS unveils a Windows 10-powered PC-on-a-stick with the new VivoStick
- Purchasing case fans in Taiwan
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- does ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 support window 10 with the G3258 cpu?
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015