On the performance side of things we don't see anything new out of the driver. It's funny, but when talking to people it seems that most are sitting on the 10.4 drivers still, which seem to have been the best this year. To be honest, if there's nothing that stands out for you in the release notes, there's no real reason to upgrade.
With the performance bit aside, it's worth mentioning that this driver did cause some issues. When it came to running benchmarks on our machine we quite often found coming out of a game we would just come to a black screen.
Initially I thought it was freezing so I restarted when it happened. At one point I tried the old ctrl + alt + del option and the screen came back with my options menu; I selected task manager and my desktop showed up. I could close task manager and everything went to normal.
Unless you really need to upgrade, I'm not sure I would really bother. The problems we're experiencing mean we'll probably skip these drivers in our ATI reviews. Lately I find myself mainly using the 10.5s.
Little glitches like the above mentioned one can be due to any number of things. It could just be the driver not liking something on the testbed as people haven't reported the issue I'm having. At the end of it, though, like I said, unless you really needed to upgrade, I wouldn't really bother.
Until next month, may all your frame rates be high and your games good fun!
Right of Reply
We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Further Reading: Read and find more Software content at our Software reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- Secret Service plans to test drone flights in Washington, D.C
- Tim Cook: Apple Watch could replace car keys for newer vehicles
- RIP 'Star Trek' legend Leonard Nimoy
- Cyberattacks top threat to United States, intelligence agencies say
- Lenovo promises to be more transparent about pre-installed software
- ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ Ultra Fast Boot Not Working?
- Setting up RAID 1 on FM2A88M Pro3+
- GIGABYTE X99-Gaming 5 (Intel X99) Motherboard Review
- GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK PCI-E Slot Confusion
- maximum ram in a GA-H55M-UD2H
- Charter Communications Says Net Neutrality Will Slow Broadband Growth and Mean Higher Fees
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse