Epic.... That's a word I'll be using a lot over the next week.
In a day's time from having finished writing this article, I'm off to Japan to help tackle 3D Mark Vantage with fellow bencher Matt, aka rdash, and it will be EPIC!
But for now it's all about the preparation. Matt is concentrating on the motherboard and CPUs. Yes, you read that right, CPUs. You see, this rig is going to utilize the twin socket EVGA SR-2 with two Intel X5680s and four GTX 480 video cards. If it wasn't enough that it already accounts for six liquid nitrogen containers, there will be one more on the chipset. That is seven containers on one rig, making "Epic" the appropriate word of the week.
For my part, I'll be concentrating on the video cards, which means flashing the BIOS to prevent the cold slow down issue that the standard BIOS has. In short, it's when the temperature drops below -50 or there abouts, on the standard BIOS the card drops to 2D clock speeds regardless of what you are doing, resulting in a massive drop in frame rates if you're in the middle of a benchmark.
Other forms of preparation include insulating and adding hard mods as required, such as the cold boot bug short, vGPU and memory mods as well as adding extra capacitors. And finally testing the cards individually to find the maximum frequency, voltage and temperature each card prefers.
In this article we'll take a closer look at my side of the preparation and how I go about it, then in approximately a week from now we'll have a follow up article detailing how it all went down. My video camera will be coming along for the ride, so you can get up close and personal with one of the most powerful personal computers around.
On a side note and a much talked about subject in the world of competitive benching, all of the components for this little get together, ie. motherboard, CPUs, graphics cards, memory, power supplies and even the 300 litres of liquid nitrogen are all retail products purchased by Matt. The only items that will not be his are four of the pots that I am bringing along.
We have also prepared a video demonstration on how to insulate and modify the graphics cards for sub-zero benching which you can see at the beginning of this page.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei announces another low-end phone - the Y6 2017
- Far Cry 5 box art shows villains, airplanes, and chaos
- Sony's Project FIELD mobile tech may release in 2017
- NASA shows Mars 2020 rover concept
- Microsoft Studios now named MS Studios Global Publishing
- Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced Remote Control Review
- C2750D4I won't get passed initializing 55
- Asus active pen (for T303UA)
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017
- FSP unveils new Industrial and Gaming power solutions at COMPUTEX 2017
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter