HD Tune Pro
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
- Benchmark: measures the performance
- Info: shows detailed information
- Health: checks the health status by using SMART
- Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
- Temperature display
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has been gaining popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
The read speed test had the 60GB starting off a little slow, but only for a split second. The slight dip at first shows up in the minimum category, but the average speed shows that the slight stumble was very brief. Instead of a stumble it was more like tripping over an ant. Aside from that everything is looking good across the board.
The write speed test was quite a bit different. Here we see the 60GB drive running into an issue. Let's look at the actual graphs from the run and compare the 60GB to the 240GB that shares the same firmware revision.
To be honest, I really didn't expect this since the word around the internet water cooler is that the 60GB is just as fast as the larger drives. That said, this is exactly why I wanted to test and write this article.
Here we see that the two drives peak at nearly the exact same spot; the problem is that the minimum and average write speed across the disk is much lower on the 60GB model. With all of the drives being tested in the same sequence and this being the second test that I ran, there was zero chance of the 60GB drive being in anything other than a new state. All drives were also tested fresh out of the sealed retail package.
What will be interesting is if a real world performance drop can be found in significant tests. We have seen SSDs stumble in HD Tune's Write Test before due to the cache filling up, but perform very well in real world tests. The difference here is that the SF-1200 does not use a DRAM cache buffer. This may be a clue into unraveling the inner workings of a controller that SandForce can be pretty tight lipped about.
Let's press on and see what we can find out from the synthetics and then see how everything pans out in real world tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The OCZ Technology Vertex 2]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Join the 'Suicide Squad' in our Blu-ray giveaway
- Netflix will double original show content in 2017
- Nashville moves to dismiss Comcast anti-Fiber lawsuit
- Amazon Go: Grocery shopping with no cash, no lines
- The Last of US 2 being co-written by Westworld writer
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand